Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting brew temperature to tune a shot flavour characteristics

Hi Everyone,

Ive got a PID Silvia which I used to make about 3-4 double shots everyday. My source of green beans are from coffeesnobs of course. I bought a batch of Yunan Wet-hulled beans not too long ago and I am going through my first batch of beans through the Gene Cafe. I roasted it to a few snaps into second crack. These beans seem to be quite dense and need alot of heat to get to second crack.

I am tasting a bit of bitterness from my shot. I tried dropping the PID temp to 107 deg instead of the usual 108 deg in an attempt to reduce the bitterness. It might have help a tiny bit but I cant be sure.

My question is, how do you go about changing the brew temperature to achieve the optimum taste? I always read about how so and so will set the temperature to xx because of the blend they are using. What determines this temperature? A rough guide would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Re: Adjusting brew temperature to tune a shot flavour characteristics

Hi Onewheel,
    I dont have a silvia, but ill have a go at answering anyway.
    My question is, how do you go about changing the brew temperature to achieve the optimum taste?
    First off 107 deg sounds a bit high. If you could flush the group head a little longer until the temp drops to around 95 and then lock in your portafilter this may help.
    A general guide to brew temp goes something like this - if the temp is too low the espresso will taste grassy and acidy and will most likely be sharp and have a rough mouthfeel. Too high and it will taste woody and possibly bitter, as well as being pretty flavourless.
    So the idea is to find a balance between the two which displays the coffees inherent characteristics.
    Also good to keep in mind that there is a relationship between grind - dose - and temperature. So make sure that your grind and dose are exactly the same each time your experimenting with different temps, otherwise you will drive yourself mad.

Comment

I might have to try this temperature thing again when I get a proper thermometer for the brew head. The temp is set to 107 instead of 90-96 degrees in account of heat loss through the water path.

Hmm.. Relationship between grind, dose and temperature? Im screwed then. I adjust my grind daily and my beans change weekly. I was afraid this would open up more questions then answers. Thanks for the tip anyway .

Comment

Welcome "onewheel"... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dont get too hung up on the "temperature" thing mate.....

Sure, you can tailor the Brew Temperature to extract the best from the bean, down to the nth degree. Best thing really, is to adjust the PID Setpoint to a value that delivers water at 92-93C to the top of the coffee puck. From what Ive read re: Silvias with PID Controllers fitted, this setpoint temperature should be around 107-108C when the feedback t/couple is mounted on top of the Boiler.

If you do a search of the forum going back a year or two, there is quite a bit of information on how to do an accurate temperature measurement on top of the puck, if you dont own a Scace Device (not many of us do) and Id recommend you do that, just to be certain of what is happening with your particular controller installation.

All the best...

Mal.

Comment

Sounds good enough to me Mal.

Comment

Working...
          X