The Rain is driving me MAD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rain is driving me MAD!!!

As you may know, its been quite a wet week for Sydney. I have been having an awful time dialling in my coffee. I am using a 4 day old blend from a reputable roaster in Sydney. With minimal movements on my mazzer mini I either get a gusher which tastes like dishwater or a complete choke.

Also of interest, I usually weigh my beans and my double basket normally takes between 18-20g of coffee to give the right puck height. Today the same weight is creating an overdose effect effectively taking up more volume in the basket. I know the weight doesnt correlate with the volume in the basket and previously a post by Greg Wormald has enlightened me to look at volume and grind and tamp relationship, not just the weight of the beans.

I have resorted to underdosing a finer grind, but still not perfect. I guess thats what you should expect if using a living breathing natural product like coffee!

Re: The Rain is driving me MAD!!!

Originally posted by 6A6D66666D7C7C080 link=1274833201/0#0 date=1274833201
    I guess thats what you should expect if using a living breathing natural product like coffee!
    Arr Grasshopper... You are starting to awake..

The rain; like many variables has an impact and can open ones experiences, but only if one is not of a closed mind..

I wonder how may coffee shops adjusted they grind / dose to become one with teh elements... Or do they remain closed and use brute force to keep moving

Comment

Originally posted by 5E71787A6D527E717E787A727A716B1F0 link=1274833201/1#1 date=1274833876
      The rain; like many variables has an impact and can open ones experiences
      Living in a humid climate in Queensland (albeit not in the tropical north) you must be an expert at constantly adjusting the grind AM?

Comment

Originally posted by 61666D6D667777030 link=1274833201/2#2 date=1274834534
        Originally posted by 5E71787A6D527E717E787A727A716B1F0 link=1274833201/1#1 date=1274833876
        The rain; like many variables has an impact and can open ones experiences
        Living in a humid climate in Queensland (albeit not in the tropical north) you must be an expert at constantly adjusting the grind AM?
        Na.. The franchise people beat that out of me...  One size fits all  ;D  I mean where else can one get consistent coffee ?

I just do not practice what I preach  ;D

Only kidding...

A good van operator I once had the pleasure of spending a day with (silent Audit) 6:00am to 2:30pm

A: Chemical clean in effect 2 if not 3 times..

B: Adjust grind at start of run and then again after an hr into it... Temp of outside and teh build up in the rear of teh van...

C: In all I watched him taste some where between 3 and 5 shots over the run and on that day adjusted teh gring about 4 times.

D: At the end of the run.. Left over beans were dumped and teh hopper cleaned... He commented that the issue was that he only had access to 1kg bagged beans and that towards the end of a day.. Judging how much to dump was an issue due to teh cost..

I asked about re bagging..

His comment was it depends on how long they had been in teh hopper.. In addition his most critical clients were first thing in the morning...

He was one of teh few Operators that I have seen and experienced that had a true focus on Quality.. However while he was doing OK... More outfits moved in and while some left and cam back... Many just opted for a few cents less and more sugar..

I understand he sold and moved inter state.... Twas a shame, as good coffee from med quality beans...

Comment

No problems here, and its pissing down like anything.

Herein lies the problems with updosing. No margin for error when its humid/rainy.

Time to practice your wet-driving skills.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A54535862525B62495558627F585C533D0 link=1274833201/4#4 date=1274836103
            Time to practice your wet-driving skills.
            Now Im wishing I had bought a machine with ABS brakes. Or better still, attended a defensive driving course.  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 6E6962626978780C0 link=1274833201/5#5 date=1274837339

Now Im wishing I had bought a machine with ABS brakes. Or better still, attended a defensive driving course.  ;D
              Judging from what happens in Melbourne during wet weather, the best defense is outright offense....

It can be effing scary on wet days, and Im a local!

Comment

lol its still raining.....

bennet are you storing beans in one way valve bags?
                i only take out 1 - 2 shots at a time and push the air back out of the bag and that minimizes the humidity issues for me (still always adjusting anyway as bean age etc)

Comment

Snap to Nunu. Strangely, my best shots occur when it rains (I have a MM too). I used to add a shots worth of beans to the hopper at a time but now I dump the whole bag in and get a better grind for it. Im happily adjusting to ambient conditions and have learned to open the grinder a notch or two on more humid days.

This morning was the first shot of a batch of Gambella which almost choked my Giotto but unless but I have rarely had to abort a pour. But I rarely use a bean before it has rested for at least a week.

Comment

Originally posted by 48444D404049250 link=1274833201/7#7 date=1274847997
                    bennet are you storing beans in one way valve bags?
                    yeah i do, and in the coolest part of the house. It might have just been a bit of bad luck this morning. i just seemed to get complete opposite shots (choker to gusher) just by moving the dial on the MM a tiny bit. ill try again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by 43444F4F445555210 link=1274833201/0#0 date=1274833201
                      As you may know, its been quite a wet week for Sydney.
                      I stood in the rain at work for 8 hours today.
                      loving my current job.  [smiley=thumbdown.gif]  :-/

Comment

Why do you people winge about rain?

We would love to have more regular rain here...

You really should be a little bit more grateful for what you get you know... :

Comment

I love rain, when its not accompanied by cold. ;D

Comment

Rain + Cold = Snow

Java "If its raining then its not cold!" phile
                            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Only one way to fix the grind on an unexpected humid or wet day get chunky with it and reduce the weight

Weight is a good general guide to maintain consistancy when you grind at a similar setting on the same bean. Dose volume and finished puck height (just under the screen) that gets the correct result during the pour is what I look at particularly with the lever machines.

The other way to go is drop your dose a bit at the old (now to fine) grind but try a much lighter Tamp. I am doing this on the Pav at the minute and the results are really good. My current Tamp pressure is a couple of kgs at most. Worth the experiment I reckon but trying to maintain consistancy is another challenge again.

Had a shocker day a while back, we did 7 or 8 kg for the day while the Humidity went from 30-98% then back again, Temps from 15-30ish Grinders were being changed constantly for the whole day. Air-conditioned shops at 21 degrees and constant humidity have it easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X