sngl bskt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sngl bskt

I just bought a vbm jnr and was just getting the hang of dose tamp grind with double basket but I only want to make 1 shot more than often.
    So switching now to the single basket, will I just fill that basket the same or will I have to change the grind?

Re: sngl bskt

Originally posted by 607B7A7171140 link=1275395449/0#0 date=1275395449
    I just bought a vbm jnr and was just getting the hang of dose tamp grind with double basket but I only want to make 1 shot more than often.
    So switching now to the single basket, will I just fill that basket the same or will I have to change the grind?
    Do a search on single basket..

Ya change one thing = Ya change ya whole process.. Grind / tamp / Dose etc etc

Much easer to just use a Double - pull ya shot short or dump teh other side... Be it to waste or a glass and cold for a cold coffee later.

Your choice...

Yes; a purest will say that a shot pulled short is different to a single... But for me the KISS approach is better than all teh extra stuffing around.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F44454E4E2B0 link=1275395449/0#0 date=1275395449
      Messing with single baskets will do yer head in.

Comment

I have a VBM Jn and use the single basket everyday and my shots are great. Like you I didnt want to waste coffee when Im the only coffee drinker at home unless we have visitors. I persisted until I got it right. Its definitely worth the effort despite the general feeling on this site that you should only use the double basket

On the VBM Jn you need to dose and level differently using the single.

On the double....

Dose, tap bottom to collapse grinds , dose to a mound, tap again, level with a straight edge and tamp with 15kg of pressure

On the single......

Dose to half way, tap, rest (dont tamp) the heavy tamper on the coffee to settle grinds, dose to a mound, tap but this time instead of leveling you need to take some out below the rim of the basket. I use Scott Callaghans dosing tools (they have a convex shape) but you could use any curved surface eg a lid, saucer etc. If you dont take some out your group handle wont lock in. Tamp with the same pressure. Sometimes you may need to grind a little finer.

Keep this process consistent and all you then have to worry about is the grind. In my case I can adjust using the grinder or a different shaped dosing tool.

tonee, keep persisting with the single.

As they say, "short term pain for long term gain".

If you live any where near me Im happy to give you a demo. Good luck tonee.

Comment

thanks...
          I ve got heaps to learn.
          im west sydney barri

Comment

Thats about 900km from me. Anyway keep practising

Comment

Working...
            X