Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double layer grind

Hi,

I have stumbled onto something, just wondering if I am wacky or there are alike out there.

Basically I fill 3/4 of fine ground coffee and 1/4 coarse one.  I smooth the fine layer with a fork before adding the 2nd coarse layer, AND tamp it real hard.  

I get less channeling problem this way.  My theory is the coarse layer provides hundreds tiny passages to the fine layer so that water goes thru coffee evenly.   What do you think?   Thanks.

Luke

Re: Double layer grind

Originally posted by 7E67797725677C75120 link=1276343733/0#0 date=1276343733
    Hi,

I have stumbled onto something, just wondering if I am wacky or there are alike out there.

Basically I fill 3/4 of fine ground coffee and 1/4 coarse one.  I smooth the fine layer with a fork before adding the 2nd coarse layer, AND tamp it real hard.  

I get less channeling problem this way.  My theory is the coarse layer provides hundreds tiny passages to the fine layer so that water goes thru coffee evenly.   What do you think?   Thanks.

Luke
    Sounds like a bit of stuffing around, what sort of Grinder and machine are you using, are your beans fresh, and what are the shots like?
    Has channelling been a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by 726B757B296B70791E0 link=1276343733/0#0 date=1276343733
      just wondering if I am wacky
      Yep.
      Just 1 more variable to go wrong.

Comment

So you would have some grounds being under extracted, and some over??

Hows it taste?

Greg

Comment

Interesting idea though..... Hard to replicate, but interesting nevertheless...

Comment

Working...
          X