used coffee grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used coffee grounds

Hi everryone! Are there any uses for used coffee grounds? Ive noticed some Starbucks stores pack them into 2 kilo bags and whoever wants them can take them home. They say its good for garden plants. Are there any more uses for them?

Re: used coffee grounds

I saw an article on ABC about using them for making water filters from easily obtainable materials in 3rd world countries.

story here

Comment

Someone needs to find a critter that will inject them with an excretion that turns them rock hard. We could all get rich building houses out of them then and make a killing in the real estate market!

Java "Yet another great idea" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Or you could turn them into car air freshener pucks. Stick a chain in them and hang two from the rear vision mirror fluffy dice style. That way other drivers will stay well clear because its obvious you will be on a caffeine high and unpredictable .

Maybe I could insert grounds in nappies to filter the stench, but I fear that there is nothing that strong in existence yet.

Comment

I cast many a thought in the direction of the army of worms in my compost bin.

It was bad enough when we fed them all the household refuse to convert to a compost the garden never sees because we dont have one (a garden, that is).

Now, they are a wriggling mass of mess high on stale caffeine.

I wonder whether they anticipate with greedy glee the next dose of Colombian Supremo...only to be disappointed when the mouldy pucks of Ethiopian Djima descends upon them.

Yes, I have guilty feelings about that.

I also ponder whether this drug of addiction is causing them headaches of migraine proportion.

Are they afflicted with lethargy, refusing to compost (the garbage, that is) until theyve munched through their morning fill of caffeinated spent pucks?

Its all food for thought which has opened up a can of worms with ethical implications.

Robusto

Comment

Good for a myriad of things. Garden wise they can be added directly to soil around plants for water holding properties or added to compost beds. I read somewhere alot will effect soil acidity but the value was a negligable increase, and not as the basis of the soil, just an additive.

I used two loads to fill some holes dug by the fearless guard dog.

Not so serious.

You could dry out the puks, crush and use as an abrasive in a sand blaster unit for metals that where too soft for regular blast abrasives.

Toss pucks instead of coins at two up gatherings tomorrow!! Now that Id lke to see.

Harden them and turn into key rings, earings, neck chains - coffee puck bling?

Roller blade wheel replacement?

How about replacement fillings for brake pads in cars. What a smell every time you hit the anchors!! ;D

Boris

Comment

Dryem out and use them to heat the house. Used coffee pucks, the new alternative energy!

Java "Full of ideas" phile

Comment

found this .... http://frugalliving.about.com/od/uncommonuses/a/coffeegrounds_3.htm

Used coffee grounds as a beauty aid!

Coffee grounds go on the attack against cellulite, dead skin and gray hair, among other things. Brew a cup of coffee and after youre awake from it, use it for these personal beauty ideas.

1. Steep a cup or so in hot water, then use as a rinse to help cover gray.
                2. Coffee grounds make a gentle exfoliating wash for your face. Wet your face and scrub with a tablespoonful of them.
                3. Fill a muslin bag with used grounds and scrub yourself with it in the shower. Its a gentle exfoliator and deodorizer in one.
                4. Rub warm, wet coffee grounds onto your skin and cover with plastic wrap for a few minutes before rinsing to fight cellulite.
                5. A quarter cup of grounds mixed with an egg white makes a toning and firming facial. Massage it into your skin and allow it to dry, then rinse. If you have dry skin, follow with a moisturizer.

Or ... Crafting with Used Coffee Grounds : http://frugalliving.about.com/od/uncommonuses/a/coffeegrounds_4.htm

And in out next installment How to prepare coffee grounds as an anti-laxative :/

Comment

What do you do with your coffee grinds?

Ill kick the puck off - I either squish them in my hand and toss them through the garden and lawn, or they go into my worm farm....the wormies love them!

Comment

hmmm, methinks Javaphile has me in his radarscope!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1145245907/0#9 date=1173925811
                      hmmm, methinks Javaphile has me in his radarscope!
                      Nah. Any topic I recognize as a repeat I join to the original to try and make it easier for people to find answers. This will also hopefully encourage people to do a search for the answer to their question before starting a new thread for a topic thats already been covered.

Java "Search engines are your friend." phile

Comment

I just tip them onto my garden and wait for the next lot of rain to do its stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1145245907/0#11 date=1173929456
                          I just tip them onto my garden and wait for the next lot of rain to do its stuff.
                          I think a lot of us would be knee deep in grounds if we wait for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1145245907/0#12 date=1173930536
                            Originally posted by Viviane link=1145245907/0#11 date=1173929456
                            I think a lot of us would be knee deep in grounds if we wait for that!  
                            Not here, we arent drought declared, its rained several to every day of the week for the last couple of months now, my lawn mower man is raking it in, and I personally wish that the clouds would move 70km over to Goulburn. In that short distance they have level 5 restrictions.

Comment

found this on the net...puck dessert...just top with cream

Comment

Working...
                              X