Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ho hum factor.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ho hum factor.

    Just wondering if others have the experience of roasting a batch of around 500 grams (my approx weekly roast) with an initial reaction of WOW this is great, however by the time I near the end of the batch my palate has become jaded (not so special any more) and Im ready for a change, of course the experience repeats weekly, roasting day is something to look forward to.

  • #2
    Re: Ho hum factor.

    I tend to agree occasionally I use a 500g of commercial roast and I am ready to try a different one before the end. Apart from that I suspect that by the end of the bag the beans at home are getting beyond their best after 10-12 days of being open.

    My normal roasting pattern is 2-4 lots of 250g and generally always different beans unless I am roasting a batch for someone else.

    Variety is the spice of life

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Ho hum factor.

      Originally posted by 5E595D525A504555525B3C0 link=1279246860/1#1 date=1279247492
      My normal roasting pattern is 2-4 lots of 250g and generally always different beans unless I am roasting a batch for someone else.
      Makes sense, should do the same but roasting once a week is my routine so guess Ive got to live with the consequences.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Ho hum factor.

        2-4 all in one session normally at a rate of one beer per roast when the weather is better. A little Glen Morangie this time of year

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Ho hum factor.

          Originally posted by 7E797D727A706575727B1C0 link=1279246860/3#3 date=1279250170
          2-4 all in one session normally at a rate of one beer per roast when the weather is better. A little Glen Morangie this time of year
          Must be some sort of law against drinkin and roastin. ;D

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Ho hum factor.

            Try roasting 250gms of differnet coffee that way you will be trying a new coffee sooner [smiley=cheesy.gif]

            I roast 2 x 500gm lots once a fortnight but my wife helps me to drink it so I get through it quicker. I never get bored as I find the flavor changes over the period as the coffee matures towards the last on the packet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Ho hum factor.

              I can really relate to the sentiments in the OP, and its one of the many reasons im just starting to venture in to the exciting world of roasting my own beans.

              I cant wait to be able to roast small batches of different beans each week so ive always got a nice variety to choose from.

              Now to just develop my palate to the necessary level to not only differentiate between tastes but actually identify what im tasting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Ho hum factor.

                Originally posted by 787878320 link=1279246860/6#6 date=1279267529
                Now to just develop my palate to the necessary level to not only differentiate between tastes but actually identify what im tasting.
                All too complex for me Ristrom, I just sit back and enjoy the ride without becoming too analytical, if it tastes good I like it, if it tastes bad I dont, anywhere in between is probably drinkable.
                Good to hear your entering the roasting arena, have you started or still in the set up stage?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Ho hum factor.

                  Originally posted by 734F465E4B2A0 link=1279246860/7#7 date=1279269652
                  All too complex for me Ristrom, I just sit back and enjoy the ride without becoming too analytical, if it tastes good I like it, if it tastes bad I dont, anywhere in between is probably drinkable.
                  I dont want to be able to make detailed cupping notes but i do get jealous when i read how people are experiencing fruity aromas with this bean and a chocolate hit with that one, etc.

                  I can tell you if the beans are stale or if the extraction has gone wrong but tasting any flavour undertones? No chance.  

                  Just this week ive been switching between three of Andys lovely beans and whilst i can notice subtle flavour differences, i cant put my finger on what im tasting or even accurately judge which i prefer because they all taste pretty nice when well made.


                  Originally posted by 734F465E4B2A0 link=1279246860/7#7 date=1279269652
                  Good to hear your entering the roasting arena, have you started or still in the set up stage? Wink
                  Still only dreaming and looking at my greens ruefully, at this stage.

                  I know most recommend a popper and its probably a wise choice but i know ill want to go to a Behmor in no time so ive decided to just wait for a Behmor, knowing i probably wont grow out of it (or if i do, it wont be for some time).
                  Were moving house at some stage over the next few months so i think ill hold off until then in the hope i getting half a garage to dedicate to this stuff.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X