Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just started brewing and grinding (not in that order)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started brewing and grinding (not in that order)

Hi,
    I have a Saeco VV, Sunbeam EM480 and freshly roasted beans. Also I have no experience! ;D I have removed the plastic so now not pressurised.

I have made a few cups, aiming for a flat white. A the start of extraction the coffee comes out black, goes to a nice colour then to that horrible whitish.

When I measure time is it from coffee flowing or from pushing the brew button?

When do I take the group handle out compared to the cup? After about 25 seconds of flow I stop the flow then take the cup out. When I take the group handle out the top is full of water.

My coffee is coming out a little bitter as an after taste.

I have been using roughly the same tamp pressure.

Suggestions???

Re: Just started brewing and grinding (not in that order)

If it is anything like the breville baskets I have seen, it is pressurised due to a double floor in the basket, you can see lots of holes from the top (where you put the coffee), and underneath only one.

How long does it take for it to change colours?

Most people I have found start timing when they press the button, that is because that is when it starts to brew.

Again not being familiar with the machine, I assume that you need release the pressure from the group head, by opening up the steam wand and let that run a bit, ie Steam your milk, then remove the grouphandle.

Hope that helps.

Ethan

Comment

If it is anything like the breville baskets I have seen, it is pressurised due to a double floor in the basket
      No, the Saeco VV is nothing like that. It has normal baskets. Its the contraption in the group handle that does the pressurising.

Comment

Start timing from when you press the brew button. You should aim to get approx. 60ml (ie. 2 x 30ml since its a double basket), including the crema, in 30 sec. You will want to stop when the pour goes the whitish colour. (which may be before you get to 60ml)

Some water in the group handle is normal, but you could try increasing the dose of coffee in the basket. Are you getting an impression from the screen/screw in the top of the coffee puck after brewing?

Comment

Hi BW,

That process and outcome is starting to sound pretty good. The timing starts from pump on, and the volume includes the crema when fresh.

The VV does not have a 3-way valve so some water on top of the puck is pretty usual.

For dosing level, try the 5¢ test. (A search on CoffeeSnobs will find it.)

Stop the flow before ;D it pales off (blonds) and also try different timings until you get a combination of timing/colour you like the taste of. Its all about the taste and everything else is just guidelines or starting points.

Greg

Comment

Working...
          X