Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take for ground coffee to start losing its flavour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take for ground coffee to start losing its flavour?

Apologies if this is already a posted topic, but Im stuffed if I can find it using the search options. I was just wondering how long it takes for freshly ground coffee to lose its flavour and can it become bitter?

We just bought an Aeropress last week, which to us is leaps and bounds ahead of our old Bodum press for flavour and the day we bought the Aeropress we also bought another tin of Merlo espresso. The first few days the coffee tasted fantastic - almost as good as the free ones you get at Merlo when you buy a tin of coffee. We mustve drunk about 4-5 cups each day and loved it. We didnt have a coffee yesterday, but this morning we were both looking forward to a coffee at breakfast and we both thought it tasted quite bitter. I made another one at morning tea and I also thought it was a little bitter as well.

The tin is in the fridge and I brewed the coffee exactly the same way as Ive done the other times, it just tasted a little bitter.

Does coffee really change in flavour that quickly? Is this the reason everyone recommended spending money on a grinder and using only freshly ground coffee?

Apologies again if this is already a posted topic.

Thanks for your help.

Re: How long does it take for ground coffee to start losing its flavour?

Optimal time to use coffee after its been ground is 3 minutes.

Keeping it in the fridge and the subsequent heating and cooling will lead to condensation and the moisture will then also further degrade the coffee.

Originally posted by 517D747477774D7C4D55777766736061120 link=1282477069/0#0 date=1282477069
    Does coffee really change in flavour that quickly?
    Yes - see the first line of my reply.

Originally posted by 517D747477774D7C4D55777766736061120 link=1282477069/0#0 date=1282477069
    Is this the reason everyone recommended spending money on a grinder and using only freshly ground coffee?
    Yes again.

Im stuffed if I can find it using the search options.
    You need to use the search tab on the top bar (next to help) and change the default option to longer than the default of "week".
    I also like to check the box to "Display only one result per thread".

I used the search words "stale time" and the 4th post had the answer.
    The search results page comes back with the search words highlighted so you can quickly skim the page looking for the answer.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Preground and fridge storage adds up to rapidly staled coffee. Next time you are in at Merlos pick up a Rocky grinder and watch your world expand! Then do a search for bean storage and enjoy the savings your new regime will deliver. The longevity of the beans coupled with better coffee at home than in cafes and that grinder will pay for itself within the year! Better yet, contact a CS sponsor for your grinder because it was their forum where you called for help. Not that the Merlos team couldnt help if you asked, they are largely fantastic! Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Im a newbie here, so thanks for going easy on me.

I think Ive found the ammo to convice my wife we definitely need a grinder.........then a real espresso machine.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F637E656F6E796C646F0B0 link=1282477069/1#1 date=1282477687
          You need to use the search tab on the top bar (next to help) and change the default option to longer than the default of "week".
          The Quick Search box now uses Google and hence returns are no longer limited to posts made in just the last week.

Java "Search engines are your friends!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
          X