Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamping technique for slower extraction

Hi there

I posted recently about a gaggia classic which I bought. I did the mod on my breville burr grinder to make it that bit finer. Thanks for the wonderful guides on how to do so.

I was wondering if the is any way I can pack the shot tighter to slow down the pour any more? I think Ive done what I can with the grinder. And I mean something other than just tamping harder.

Any help is always wonderful

Trent

Re: Tamping technique for slower extraction

Originally posted by 2127303B21223C39550 link=1282960540/0#0 date=1282960540
    Hi there

I posted recently about a gaggia classic which I bought. I did the mod on my breville burr grinder to make it that bit finer. Thanks for the wonderful guides on how to do so.

I was wondering if the is any way I can pack the shot tighter to slow down the pour any more? I think Ive done what I can with the grinder. And I mean something other than just tamping harder.

Any help is always wonderful

Trent
    Fresh coffee

After that = Better grinder 8-)

Comment

Tamping harder can only do so much.
      If the grinder wont go any finer you need a bigger basket, as more coffee will slow the pour.

Comment

You can make the grind finer after initial grinding by putting the ground coffee in a mortar & pestle to make it finer
        Just be on your game to not go to fine

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 11353C3C3F3F0511352937355A0 link=1282960540/3#3 date=1282963178
          You can make the grind finer after initial grinding by putting the ground coffee in a mortar & pestle to make it finer
          Just be on your game to not go to fine
          Not as silly as it sounds

Give your grind a 10, 15 or 20 second grind in a morter & pestle and see how the extractions go then

Warren.

Comment

Thanks for that. I would imagine something like that would work nicely. Ive been grinding in the breville then putting it for a few seconds in my cheap delonghi spice grinder which actually works well but its diffucult to judge how long it needs.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

What sized baskets are you using? Bigger baskets and only ever using a double handle are sure to make a difference

Also when I had a new classic to play with it ran very hot indeed -so try a good sized cooling flush of around 200ml plus of hot water before inserting your handle and running the shot - and that may help to slow things down a bit...

Comment

Excuse my ignorance atcg but how would a cooling flush slow down the shot?

Im asking because yesterday I hadnt noticed that the low water sensor had cut the element power on my machine and I obviously didnt give enough time to get back up to temp and the shot ran fast.

Comment

My experience of the Classic and similar machines with small boilers is that when the hot water level drops and the boiler starts to cycle (temperature surfing) the amount of water available to the group head is reduced - creating a longer, slower extraction

This is my observation only, though, and Im happy to stand corrected...

Comment

Big basket, settle during and after grind, hard tamp.
                    you cant go wrong buddy.
                    if this doesnt work, get a Mazzer
                    haha /rant

Comment

Some interesting things here.
                      There is obviously a fair bit of difference between the capabilities of a budget grinder and a better brand. I know the actual numbers dont mean anything but I have never needed to grind finer than an 8 on my Rocky which suggests there is a bit to go.
                      I find the hotter the machine, the thinner (quicker) the pour (the poorer the quality) so a couple of long flushes is always an option for me if the machine has been on for a while & temp has built up.
                      Certainly if I am a bit lighter on the tamp than usual I can pick the difference in the pour.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A676B6371080 link=1282960540/10#10 date=1283651094
                        I have never needed to grind finer than an 8 on my Rocky which suggests there is a bit to go.
                        Sorry Rocky but thats an assumption and the auditor I am wont let that comment pass.
                        The true zero might be 7 on your grinder.

Originally posted by 5A676B6371080 link=1282960540/10#10 date=1283651094
                        I find the hotter the machine, the thinner (quicker) the pour (the poorer the quality)
                        Strangely I have found the opposite.
                        The other day my low water switch cut the boiler power and I tried to make a shot too soon after turning it back on and the resultant poor was quick and thin. There must be more to it than you and I have observed.

Comment

I gotta say amigo, buy a better grinder. Slowing down the rate of flow can be achieved best by grind size reduction. The key for quality is even partical cut and distribution size, this will create an even pack of resistance in the dose for the water to pass through at an even rate of flow, therefore ensuring maximum flavour development and extraction quality through out the pack......... ( take a breath)

I definately wouldnt recommend using your spice grinder, or a motar and pestle to finish off the grind, as this is not cutting your coffee, rather smashing it into a painful submission. These techniques will also produce uneven particle size, which is no good for your even extraction.

Think of a bucket randomly filled with sections of sand and pebbles.... which areas will the water pass through the fastest? Uneven particle grind size, uneven extraction, under developed flavour texture and aromatic compounds.

Buy a grinder that enables you to reduce your grind size further if you can.

Comment

The only reason I could think of for a thinner extraction with a hot machine is channeling. If your machine is hot, i suspect the steam that first comes out damages the puck and channels. A cold machine wont extract all the coffee leaving a watery beverage at best. Variables Variables Variables.

Only suggestion to tamping is to make sure you are tapping the portafilter on the bench as you add the grinds. If you tap only when the portafilter is full you wont fill the basket up.

For me the only option would be to get a better grinder. Perhaps a hario or kyocera hand grinder!!!

Last resort you could try to block off some of the holes in your basket to reduce flow.

Comment

OK TG, you have drawn attention to how un-adventurous I am. I originally arrived at a grind of 8 on the dial by grinding at 6 & then at 10 and then going for the point in between that gave the best pour. I dont know for sure at what point the burrs touch so now I will have to try a couple of grinds at progressively finer settings to find out. As I said, I realise that the numbers dont mean anything but it might be interesting to find out what zero is on this grinder.
                              I hadnt associated the "too hot - too fast - too thin" with channeling (as Justin suggests) as I always check the puck and it was invariably fine. It just seemed to me that when I was having the problem with the machine running too hot, the pour always looked too light & too thin & the coffee was crap. Since I solved the temp problem the pours are mostly perfect and the coffe great. Is it possible that when it was running too hot there was a greater pressure (of steam) pushing the water through more quickly & thus a poor extraction?

Comment

Working...
                              X