Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baristas Bible?

Im a young barista,

Word on the street is that David C. Schomers book: "Espresso Coffee: Proffessional Techniques" is the Holiest of Holys when it comes to making coffee.
    I cant seem to find an Australian book seller anywhere? Any help would be great!!!

Re: Baristas Bible?

The one thing you need to learn first is that there is money to be made in coffee.

1: Merchandise = Books and stuff ( would be if I could be, but some one will pay)
    2: Equipment
    3: Raw product
    4: Actually making and serving a coffee.

If google can not find it... Then you need to search again.

Secondly, any one that hints that one man or one book has it all sussed... Then I would be vere vere very sus!!!!

2 + 2 = 5 for great coffee and even with the best computers today;  the full facts about string theory; escapes the best of them... Because it is realy about the cup and when in the cup it becomes a knot  :

Comment

I would say that book is very very outdated. The knowledge gained in the field of espresso science and preparation has come a long way since that book was published.

Just look at a video shot by Mark Prince (owner of coffeegeek.com) pulling a shot on a Rancilio Silvia in 2000.

Barista bible? There will never be one. Coffee is forever changing and science and technology is helping us learn about coffee faster than ever.

Essential reading? Check out Scott Raos "The Professional Baristas Handbook". It is a good start.

Comment

The David Schomer article archive is available at:

http://www.espressovivace.com/archives.html

Most of it is from the 1990s but it is still quite an important foundation on which to build your coffee knowledge.  I second the recommendation of the Scott Rao book, very technical but worth the effort.

Comment

I would suggest that most technical books that are hard to find try amazon in the us or book depositry in the uk. They both deliver to Australia with their larger populations & the economies of scale mean they carry a larger range of books at a cheaper price.

Comment

I agree with David
            Originally posted by 0321273C3B3127540 link=1283171099/2#2 date=1283180675
            Check out Scott Raos "The Professional Baristas Handbook". It is a good start.
            Regards

Renzo
            PS. I have this one in stock

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=40

Comment

Originally posted by 765452494E4452210 link=1283171099/2#2 date=1283180675
              Barista bible? There will never be one. Coffee is forever changing and science and technology is helping us learn about coffee faster than ever.
              Morning David, Im not too sure I agree with this statement, lots of hyperbole and mumbo jumbo written about coffee in all of its forms, but in my opinion anyone of average intellect who is prepared to learn can pick up the basics pretty quickly and become quite skilled within a relatively short space of time "Coffee Snobs is certainly an excellent resource for those prepared to learn"
              Coffee bible! do we even need one? sure its a fascinating subject and you can continue to expand your knowledge ad infinitum, books are certainly of value and Scott Raos "The Professional Baristas Handbook" is an interesting read, though as Blue House suggested somewhat technical.
              In the end what we are looking to do is learn to make an excellent cup of coffee, not  perform brain surgery.  

Comment

Originally posted by 477B726A7F1E0 link=1283171099/6#6 date=1283225002
                In the end what we are looking to do is learn to make an excellent cup of coffee, not perform brain surgery.
                Jon, having discussed my brain surgery in detail with the surgeon and also having attempted to make an excellent cup of coffee, I think youre underestimating the finesse needed for that coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 132F3229232235202823470 link=1283171099/7#7 date=1283229091
                  Originally posted by 477B726A7F1E0 link=1283171099/6#6 date=1283225002
                  In the end what we are looking to do is learn to make an excellent cup of coffee, not perform brain surgery.
                  Jon, having discussed my brain surgery in detail with the surgeon and also having attempted to make an excellent cup of coffee, I think youre underestimating the finesse needed for that coffee.  
                  Hows it going TG? I suspect that Id be much happier having you make me a fine cup of coffee than I would be having you mucking around with my grey matter. ;D

Comment

I agree with everything everyones said, and I, myself, being a young barista aswell, have found that its all well and good to read about the supposed best path to cupping ecstacy, BUT.. the best way is through experience, stand in front of the machine and just pump out the shots.  change up your grind, dosing tecnique (settle more, less.. whatever) tamping and TASTE EVERYTHING see what works and what doesnt.  sure, its going to be slightly different for each bean or blend but hey, im a firm believer in experience being the best path to nirvana.
                    after all, its your cup man, and what ends up in it has got to be what you like and not what someone else tells you is correct.  

Comment

barista@heart -

Go to the espressovivace website and read all the article archives. Its pretty close to the book that I read in 2003 although there are most likely updated versions of davids book floating around which might make the purchase worthwhile.
                      What youll find with a lot of training manuals is a lot of talk about the technique in each individual step. However what you dont get taught is how to keep it all together so you are reasonably efficient while working this style of coffee preparation.
                      Just a suggestion and you might already know this..

But try and work out the timing that it takes to do each individual step, and shuffle it all around until you get to the point where you pair it all together efficiently while still being able to grind to serve, steam to order and pour as soon as the shots are finished.
                      You will find that you dont need to concentrate 100% on every step, but there are certain parts of each step that are fairly important to focus on.

Comment

Hi guys,

Has anyone read The Espresso Quest? How does that compare to Raos book?

Cheers,
                        Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by 062A3F3F232E3C140E3922284B0 link=1283171099/11#11 date=1283431331
                          Hi guys,

Has anyone read The Espresso Quest? How does that compare to Raos book?

Cheers,
                          Matthew
                          Ive been interested in reading this also, ive heard its good.

Comment

The Espresso Quest is not so much a technical manual - it is more the musings of a significant player on a twenty five year life in the Australian coffee industry.  I have found it inspiring - I find that I revisit it every few months.  The photographs are luscious.

Comment

Great! - it sounds like one of thos must have, great reads then.
                              Ill add it to my shopping list

Comment

Working...
                              X