Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Black - Discussion/Tips

Hello fellow CSs,

Just wondering about technique in making A "long black" as this is all my father will drink, should I pour the espresso shot before or after adding boiling or hot water?

Is it better to brew the shot in a separate glass and add it to the water?

Dont particularly want to ruin any crema so stirrin sounds a bad idea? Will the coffee mix evenly with the water regardless?

So many variable, as with everything coffee!

Hope this sparks some discussion

Re: Long Black - Discussion/Tips

I put hot water into a cup and then pour the shot into that cup.
    With practise you learn how much water to start with so you wont have to top it up and ruin the crema.
    No need to stir.

The only problem I can have with this is that if I draw water from the machine it will start to refill the boiler and kill the steam power briefly, so I always make long blacks last.

If Im only making the one its not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 526E7368626374616962060 link=1283899710/1#1 date=1283904200
      I put hot water into a cup and then pour the shot into that cup.
      Yep.
      Water first, shot on top.
      And for the OP, definitely no stirring.

Comment

Ah! Think thats a better idea, book that came with the machine suggested the other way around

Good to hear there are no mixing issues!!

Comment

Shot first is also refered to as an Americano rather than a long black and looks more like a brewed coffee in the cup. For me like the others water and shots on top.

Comment

Yep, hot water first then shot on top, and if he takes sugar add it to the hot water, allow it to dissolve and stir before adding shot, this saves having to stir in the crema with the sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A5D59565E544151565F380 link=1283899710/4#4 date=1283907348
              Shot first is also refered to as an Americano rather than a long black and looks more like a brewed coffee in the cup.  
              Americano - The perfect way to turn a beautiful looking coffee into a faux instant (in looks only, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by 4A4A4A000 link=1283899710/6#6 date=1283911000
                Americano - The perfect way to turn a beautiful looking coffee into a faux instant (in looks only, of course).
                Thats one opinion, Americano or long black as we call it in Aus is my choice for breakfast, Im looking for a drink at this time of day, not a mouth full of nectar, shots? some time after 4 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by 1A262F3722430 link=1283899710/7#7 date=1283912612
                  Thats one opinion, Americano or long black as we call it in Aus is my choice for breakfast, Im looking for a drink at this time of day, not a mouth full of nectar, shots? some time after 4 pm. Wink
                  Long blacks are fine, its the Americano that is an aesthetic abomination.

I know taste is the bottom line but i like coffee to be beautiful too, and pouring water over a shot turns the beautiful into ugly faux instant in one fell swoop.

Comment

Agree with what has been said but always do it the opposite way, reason being that the steaming is my last action and its convenient to use 60ml of the water purged before steaming to make my long black. Yes, it does bugger up the crema but I dont care as I also make myself a Macchiato which provides the eye appeal.

Comment

water first then shot for me
                      should try a short long black - halfway between espresso and long black, seems to be quite nice (kudos to chris from talk coffee for showing me that one)

Comment

Originally posted by 4444440E0 link=1283899710/8#8 date=1283937881
                        i like coffee to be beautiful too
                        I agree, presentation is important to me as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X