Could do better, but taste test gives coffee chains a shot in the arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could do better, but taste test gives coffee chains a shot in the arm

The article below is from the SMH, these two sentences speak volumes, if your new to the world of home espresso read them think about them then read again, all will be revealed.

"The chief criticisms were of coffee being under-extracted - running too fast through the machine, producing a watery shot - or over-extracted, which resulted in a bitter taste, said Matthew Gee, of the training company Barista Basics, which conducted the testing.

In 95 per cent of cases the grind is not right. The particle size of the coffee being ejected … is not the right size. A good barista can rectify that with [a small] adjustment, he said. High staff turnover and lack of consistency meant chain stores could fall down in this area more so than independent cafes.

Melissa Singer
    July 22, 2010

COFFEE snobs shun them like last seasons fashion but chain stores arent all bad when it comes to serving a good cuppa.

But many fall short of the mark on quality and consistency, with the words thin, bitter, strange aroma and watery used to describe some of the espressos and cappuccinos served by major coffee franchises as part of a survey by the consumer group Choice.

Of 10 chains visited, Michels Patisserie (80 per cent) scored the highest for taste, while Gloria Jeans (40 per cent) came last. Starbucks, which rated poorly for flavour, performed well on product consistency.

The chief criticisms were of coffee being under-extracted - running too fast through the machine, producing a watery shot - or over-extracted, which resulted in a bitter taste, said Matthew Gee, of the training company Barista Basics, which conducted the testing.

In 95 per cent of cases the grind is not right. The particle size of the coffee being ejected … is not the right size. A good barista can rectify that with [a small] adjustment, he said. High staff turnover and lack of consistency meant chain stores could fall down in this area more so than independent cafes.

With coffee prices hitting 12-year highs on the international market, experts tip the price of a latte to rise.

The self-proclaimed coffee economist Wayne Fowler, of the Brisbane-based company Gilkatho, said Sydney coffee prices were higher than in Melbourne or Brisbane.

In the survey, McDonalds had the cheapest espresso at $2.25, while the most expensive shot, from Coffee Guru, cost $3.50.

Tony Diakis sells what may be Sydneys cheapest coffee - $2 for most popular varieties. He said intense competition meant prices were often lower in the CBD than in the suburbs. The reason I can do it is cheaper overheads, said Mr Diakis, who serves about 300 customers a day from his York Street booth.

The study found young women and people born overseas preferred chain stores while older and Australian-born customers favoured independent cafes.

Re: Could do better, but taste test gives coffee chains a shot in the arm

Originally posted by 506C657D68090 link=1283915764/0#0 date=1283915764
    Starbucks, which rated poorly for flavour, performed well on product consistency.
    I love that! in other words, the flavour of Starbucks coffee was consitently poor! Kind of Choice to put a positive spin on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 333F363635353C252324500 link=1283915764/1#1 date=1283922409
      Originally posted by 506C657D68090 link=1283915764/0#0 date=1283915764
      Starbucks, which rated poorly for flavour, performed well on product consistency.
      I love that! in other words, the flavour of Starbucks coffee was consitently poor! Kind of Choice to put a positive spin on it.
      I actually laughed out loud when I read the Starbucks assessment! I think Ill do it again too. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Greg

Comment

Yep,

Michels has consistently employed talented baristi as trainers and they are getting some consistent results in the cup. If I had to choose coffee from a chain, Id back them for the best chance of something drinkable.

Sadly though it seems that Choice continues to use the same coffee testing crew when they could do so, so much better. Sorta like starbucks :-?

Comment

Really? In 95% of cases the grind is not right? That sounds pretty incredulous to me. Id like to see that statistic backed up with data!

Comment

Originally posted by 45495A43464F4946280 link=1283915764/4#4 date=1283932311
            Really? In 95% of cases the grind is not right? That sounds pretty incredulous to me. Id like to see that statistic backed up with data!
            Read through the requests for help in these forums Mark, a large percentage are directly related to incorrect grind.
            Obviously the figure of 95% is not mine and I have no need to defend it, however the high number certainly does not surprise me.

Comment

One thing is for sure - if the grind is not right then youve got big problems before you even start to think of all the other possible faults.
              Grind is something that is easily controlled whereas some of the others are a bit more complicated. Any outfit with the smarts would jump on this tip as a good starting point.
              Im always curious about what sort of managers they get in the chains and whether they know enough about coffee to guide the inexperienced staff.

Comment

Originally posted by 24283B22272E2827490 link=1283915764/4#4 date=1283932311
                Really? In 95% of cases the grind is not right?
                Ill make an even more outrageous, unsubstantiated claim, though it is based on feedback...

In 95% of cases the staff dont adjust the grind because they are told not to do so, even when their instinct tells them its not right!

Comment

Originally posted by 25040F0F0812610 link=1283915764/7#7 date=1283948609
                  In 95% of cases the staff dont adjust the grind because they are told not to do so
                  to summarise a number of comments Ive heard over the years "it belongs to the coffee company, they told me not to touch anything/call the technician/i might break it if anything changes"

What hope have the operators got if the large commercial roasters and also chains are not even educating their customers about coffee properly?

Originally posted by 530C140209020E070704040C000F610 link=1283915764/3#3 date=1283924642
                  Michels has consistently employed talented baristi as trainers
                  Indeed, Id pay good money to get training from their head trainer!

Comment

Im really surprised Michels ranked so high! While Ive had some fairly decent coffee from some of their stores the one just down the road from me consistently produces the most foul toxic tasting brew time after time. There isnt any point going back there

Comment

Originally posted by 7A5353565A5D5A5A3F0 link=1283915764/9#9 date=1283982181
                      Im really surprised Michels ranked so high! While Ive had some fairly decent coffee from some of their stores the one just down the road from me consistently produces the most foul toxic tasting brew time after time.  
                      Well theres one near me that doesnt do too bad a job.
                      Ive been known to have a coffee there with my wife if she refuses to go home for one.
                      That would usually be because we are about to go shopping and it would be silly (to her) to go home and then come back to shop.

Interestingly enough, its not too far from Choice HQ.

Elliebee you could either mention it to them or ring Head Office.
                      Being a chain, theres a small chance Head Office might care.

Comment

Yeah this remind me when I drove from Melbourne to Geelong and pulled into a servo needing a caffeine hit. Above the grinder was a big sign to staff with DO NOT ADJUST THE GRINDER , decided that a Pepsi Max was a better idea.

Comment

I worked at michels for a while, it was the first palce i learnt to make coffee, and i must say they really do concentrate on coffee training and pride themselves on it. i can tell you that macine and grider are always cleaned throughly at the end of the day and staff are told to grind on demand.

that said though, they are franchises, and like all franchises, it depends on how exacting the owner or manager is. there are however often spot checks by head office, to ensure all franchises are being run properly.

so, for a franchise, they are pretty good at ensuring coffee is made properly.

Comment

Originally posted by 6072747C7C7776222A2B20130 link=1283915764/12#12 date=1284084306
                            i can tell you that macine and grider are always cleaned throughly at the end of the day and staff are told to grind on demand.
                            But were you allowed to adjust the grind?

Comment

Working...
                            X