Coffee Bean Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Bean Choices

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but bought my grinder today (em0480)  ;D ;D

The coffee quality is out of this world compared to what I was previously getting but Im not sure where to start with choosing beans to my taste? There are so many options!!

Ive only tried columbian supremo (which I really loved!) and merlo private blend (Which I dont really like finding it too strong maybe? Or bitter? Im not sure what it is specifically )

I want to expand into the coffee world now Im set up, bit looking through the sponsor offerings Im so spoilt for choice!!

Any suggestions for types of bean to try? Are other columbian varieties similar?

Im a big fan of sweeter things, but starting to enjoy coffee without sugar now Im grinding and pouring unpressuriZed shots

Re: Coffee Bean Choices

Hey Elliebee,

Get a roasted sample pack from BeanBay - best thing I ever did. Lets you try a range of coffees as well as giving you the chance to try blending yourself!

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/Vi...ed-sample-pack

Comment

As for suggestions, my favourite is the Ethiopian Harrar and other Ethiopian coffees! They have really floral tones and often surprise me as its not what youd expect from a coffee.

The PNG Wahgi in BeanBay is also good!

Comment

As Tango said, definitely buy a sample pack from Beanbay.

The sample pack gives you four different beans to try so its a wonderful starting point for one new to quality coffee.

Andys beans are first class, his roasting outstanding and he roasts to order, thus ensuring freshness (something very few do).

Give the sample pack a go, see what tickles your tastebuds and go from there.

Comment

ive always found kenyan and nicaraguan to be good staple starting points, nicaraguan seems to be very forgiving

ive also foudn the sample packs to be really good when i was buying roasted, dont think I ever doubled up between purchases, Andy al;ways seems to pop differnt ones in each time

Comment

Getting a variety sure seems the way to go

Comment

lve just started roasting too , and yeah the starter packs are great for you to sample a few different beans without having to buy kgs at a time.

Hows sunny QLD today Elliebee ? ( Freezing here )

Ken

Comment

Ah ok yeah I want to get into roasting, but not quite ready. Weather is beautiful from what I can see out the bus window of course it would have been better if I didnt have to go to uni

Comment

Write down your impressions on the coffees you try and then try and correlate those to Andys descriptions in the Bean Bay. (He also has a spreadsheet with lots of info on it--try asking him where you can get a copy of the current one.)

Then reading the rest of his descriptions will give you an idea of what to try next. Dont worry about getting it perfect though, the trip is too much fun to avoid anything without a trial--cheap too!

Greg

Comment

Thanks greg !!

This tasting /writing down thing is so much fun!!!

I would never have believed you could get so much flavour out of coffeee!!!!!!

im in love

Comment

Working...
                    X