Different sized grinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different sized grinds

I went to a cafe this morning and the guy was telling me about the burrs he has in his big Mazzer (cant remember what type). Anyway, he said they were special burrs as they generate smaller and larger sized particles at this same time which is meant to be better for extraction. Ive never heard of this...is this correct? I thought that the particle size had to be consistent?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: Different sized grinds

Next time ask him if he had been snorting his ground coffee ;D

Grind consistency is the important thing with the beter grinders.

Comment

Originally posted by 211601010200160F0F060D52630 link=1284520808/0#0 date=1284520808
      he said they were special burrs as they generate smaller and larger sized particles at this same time which is meant to be better for extraction.
      Bull$h!t.
      Maybe he was sold special burrs by some scammer.
      When youre in next time ask him if hed like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge from me.  :

Comment

hahahahahahahahahahaha........a great laugh but.....

dont forget guys, there is a lot of misinformation out there. This fellow may actually believe this and is only trying to educate his clients !? Truth is, you never know.

A.

Comment

Originally posted by 132730263D0A163A33333030550 link=1284520808/3#3 date=1284522979
          hahahahahahahahahahaha........a great laugh but.....

dont forget guys, there is a lot of misinformation out there. This fellow may actually believe this and is only trying to educate his clients !? Truth is, you never know.

A.
          Yep and some even look at teh burrs and make a wild guess as to teh pattern / shape etc as to what comes out at teh end..

Dont have problems with Mazzers if their doserless , burrs are usually OK unless then have bean thrashed..

Users are the main issue

Comment

Thanks guys, you confirmed what I was thinking.

It was a bit of a what the moment when he was telling me...

Comment

As it happens...... :

Good quality grinders tend to produce particle sizes in two distribution peaks, as discussed here in a Home Barista thread....
              http://tinyurl.com/2a6g2jn

In the end of course, this is (in the main) of scientific interest only as the primary arbiter of quality in the cup, is the owner of the palate

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 063126262527312828212A75440 link=1284520808/5#5 date=1284523457
                Thanks guys, you confirmed what I was thinking.  

It was a bit of a what the moment when he was telling me...

My question now is, despite what the "barista" thinks, how is the coffee?

Comment

Its pretty average, but its the best of a bad lot...

But admittedly, the guy behind the machine makes a better coffee than when its one of the girls. If I am desperate for a real coffee I go to this cafe, but if its not the guy on the machine, I walk right past.

Comment

Originally posted by 0F22262A274B0 link=1284520808/6#6 date=1284529608
                    In the end of course, this is (in the main) of scientific interest only as the primary arbiter of quality in the cup, is the owner of the palate
                    Yep and as the article alludes to... Fines and the manner in which beans fracture etc Adding lots of extra variables into the whole process.

I would still say that even if there are 2 or 3 sizes, the majority (primary size) are planned for and teh others are artefacts of teh beans and teh process it self..

Comment

Surprisingly (or perhaps not), a definitive variation in size is preferred over that of a single particle size range. If all particles were of nearly identical size, there would be a greater proportion of interstitial space within the bulk of a compacted coffee puck. This would result in higher water flow rates due to reduced resistance provided by the puck leading to under-extracted brews.

The smaller size particle fractions tend to occupy these interstitial spaces thereby creating increased resistance to water flow and a flow that is likely to be more consistent from one shot to another. Sure, that does mean that a small proportion of the coffee is going to be over-extracted but the vast majority will be properly extracted and more consistently so.

Yeah I know, enough with the science and back to drinking great coffee.... :

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 14393D313C500 link=1284520808/10#10 date=1284534245
                        Yeah I know, enough with the science and back to drinking great coffee....
                        Agree... Good at that coffee

But does it have electrolytes

Comment

Working...
                        X