Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a 5kg roaster

Hi all,

Im happy to be able to say that today I bought a second hand 5kg roaster - woohoo!!!

That was the easy part, the hard part is getting it here. Its in Melbourne and Im in Newcastle. Im hoping someone here has a little experience in moving these things around, because I dont and I could really use a little advice.

Im tossing up whether to get it transported on the back of a truck or to get a 1 tonner and go down and get it myself.

Re getting it transported, I figure if its on a skid and strapped in Ill just make sure they have a way to get it on the truck @ pickup and itll be a door to door process.

Re getting it myself, is this a safe way to move a roaster 900kms - strapped into the back of a ute? Any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to go down and get it myself so the guys there can show me the ropes. Its a Renegade 5kg with the profile control system, so seeing that pump out a roast from start to finish would be great. Moving it this way, Ill need to ensure theyve got a forklift at their end, no probs Id say, and Id need to have one ready at my side.

If youve any experience in this or any thoughts at all that might be handy, please let me know.

On the point of the roaster - Renegade 5kg, has anyone out there in CS land roasted on one of these, if so, that is your take on it? This ones in pretty good nic, 5 yrs old and was used until 3 weeks ago.

Thanks all, have a great night,
    Matthew

Re: Moving a 5kg roaster

Congrats Matthew!

Normally, these would be crated with appropriate protection and then loaded onto a rear lift truck, tied in and then freighted.

Coffee cartel purchased ours and they hired a rear lift box van and protected the roaster with a heap of removalist blankets, tied it in and then drove off into the sunset. This strategy seemed to work well.

Enjoy the new kit

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris!

Do you mean they used something similar to this?

[img][/img]

Comment

Originally posted by 14382D2D313C2E061C2B303A590 link=1284633937/2#2 date=1284636045
        Thanks Chris!

Do you mean they used something similar to this?
        That would be the one

It might be worth getting an interstate removalist to cost the job for you?

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Getting the roaster yourself would be the way to do it. Speaking to the person who roasted on it will save heaps of time and money.

Roasters are top heavy, so need to be tied down really well so as not to tip over.

Good Luck

Martin.

Comment

Congratulations Matthew!

If it were me, Id invest in a trip down to Melbourne and get as much training as I possibly could (and taking a few pics to share ) then arranging transport as per Chris suggestion.

Speak to a few furniture removalists, as they may be less expensive and take more care than a general freight company.

All the best!

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the input! Ive orgainsed a transit van to head down myself to pick it up - itll cost approx $500, which is less than flying down to have a chat and getting someone to bring it up for me. Its going to be strapped to a pallet, and theyve got a forklift to get it into the van... Im still to figure out how to get it out of the van up here. Dens suggested mates, thats much cheaper than a hiring a forklift for 5 mins - good idea!

The only thing Im not 100% pleased about is that its been disconnected three weeks ago, so I cant get an lessons on it. The guys roasting on it will be there and able to have a chat, however its not the same as a hands-on demo, not even close.

As you can imagine Ive read all possible (as far as Im aware, please feel free to pass on good resources) info online to get to the point that I feel like I cant learn anything more from reading, so Im just going to get it hooked up asap, by a bag of beans and get into it. Good old fashion throwing yourself in the deep end... well shallow end, Im not going to quit my day job just yet!

Have anyone roaster on one of these? Ive found that theyre in use in quite a few cafe/roasterys in Melbourne, and Ill aim to get in touch soon to hook up while Im doen there to collect, however if there is anyone in here who knows their way around one of these Id like to know your thoughts.

All the best,
              Matthew

Comment

Working...
              X