Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My technique - a video.

Hi guys,

I made this short video yesterday showing my technique pulling a shot & texturing milk. Its my first attempt at making such a video. Apologies for some of the out of focus shots. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP9R7In5jHo

Re: My technique - a video.

The only criticism of your filming that I have is next time pour so the camera can see the glass instead of the back of your hand.

Comment

All good up to the pour sequence, as TG has already said, would have been good to see the glass instead of the back of your hand.

Comment

Tamping also restricted by shoulder and hairy arm - Your obviously not a bike rider

Personally I do not like;

1: The banging of the group spouts on the bench (mat quality is the important management factor)

WHY - I have seen way to many spouts over time, deform and end up with edges and lips on teh bottom of teh spouts. Outcome is strange looking tails ;D

2: The mangling of Groups with a metal object

WHY- I may be anal but a group with 1001 dings and chrome that can end up pealing is just not me.

I like tamps that have a softer type handle and or a hard rubber type insert in teh top.

3: Open for discussion.

A: Banging settles grin vertically
        B: Taping on teh side breaks the outer seal

PS. I slap mine but as it is deemed to much like child abuse - pics will not be posted ;D

PPS. So what was it like in teh mouth

Comment

Nice vid daniel-san!
          you make everything (bar the pour) very clear and easy for people to re-produce.
          nice setup too.
          Just a curiosity.. did you roast those beans and what are they?

haha.

totally agree with all the above comments.
          but good work, keep it up

Comment

You own a HX machine. Make use of its ability to extract and steam at the same time.

Dont waste so much coffee by scooping in to the knockbox. Proper dosing technique would sort this our rather than banging the group handle 100 times on the bench and then using a dosing tool.

Unless you like double ristretto cafe lattes, why dont you extract a full double? Otherwise use a single group handle - aint nothing wrong with using singles.

Otherwise not a bad effort

Comment

Good work on the video for a first-time job. Obviously working within restraints of your bench setup but it would have been better to re-organise the equipment to allow for proper camera angles.

Agree that you need to use a much gentler tapping technique. I use 2 or 3 gentle taps after the initial dose, just enough to collapse the mound and a gentle tap on the side before tamping. The end result pour looked good.

For single cup shots, I always make double ristrettos. I use the single group handle and replaced the single basket with a double basket.

Suggestion: try using a plastic takeway container to catch any excess grounds during distribution and keep these grounds to use for the seasoning shot after a chemical back flush.

Nice work on the milk-texturing.

Originally posted by 042B22203708242B24222028202B31450 link=1285632571/3#3 date=1285635426
              I like tamps that have a softer type handle and or a hard rubber type insert in the top.
              daniel-san is using a Pullman Barista AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 416E6765724D616E6167656D656E74000 link=1285632571/3#3 date=1285635426
                B: Taping on the side breaks the outer seal
                Morning AM, agree with everything you say up to this point, at this stage the ground coffee is still sitting in the basket uncompacted so there is no seal to break, so as far as Im concerned tap away to your hearts content (I agree metal on metal is far from ideal) once the grounds have been tamped there may be an argument for not tapping the sides of the portafilter, though Im not entirely convinced this is the case, seems to me you can tap and tamp as much as you like, as long as the last thing you do in the process is tamp.

Originally posted by 416E6765724D616E6167656D656E74000 link=1285632571/3#3 date=1285635426
                I like tamps that have a softer type handle and or a hard rubber type insert in the top.
                So do I.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This video has highlighted that I am a bit heavy handed, or the mic in my camera is too sensitive!

Originally posted by 406F6664734C606F6066646C646F75010 link=1285632571/3#3 date=1285635426
                  1: The banging of the group spouts on the bench (mat quality is the important management factor)  
                  Im using a tamp mat - so its not directly on the bench. I was shown this method to break down clumps from the grinder.

Originally posted by 406F6664734C606F6066646C646F75010 link=1285632571/3#3 date=1285635426
                  2: The mangling of Groups with a metal object
                  As Flynn said, Im using a pullman barista. It has a soft plastic insert on top of the tamper. I tap the side of the group to even out the grind mound before sweeping.

Originally posted by 6A6E7560736E010 link=1285632571/4#4 date=1285669511
                  Just a curiosity.. did you roast those beans and what are they?
                  They are Guatemalan Huehuetenango SHB from 2009 bean bay. 8 days post roast.

Originally posted by 567472696E6472010 link=1285632571/5#5 date=1285690166
                  You own a HX machine. Make use of its ability to extract and steam at the same time.
                  I like to take my time and watch the shot. Im in no rush  

Dont waste so much coffee by scooping in to the knockbox. Proper dosing technique would sort this our rather than banging the group handle 100 times on the bench and then using a dosing tool.
                  This was a particularly overdosed grind. I measure 2 scoopfulls of beans into the hopper before grinding. I like the dosing tool because it gives me absolute repeatability. I gather your comments are from a pro point of view, where efficiency and waste would be of concern. Being a strictly amatuer home barista I have the luxury of wasting a little bit of coffee and time!

Unless you like double ristretto cafe lattes, why dont you extract a full double? Otherwise use a single group handle - aint nothing wrong with using singles.
                  Yeap I like sweeter ristrettos. I like the double handle - if my tamp is uneven it will show by pouring from one spout first. Planning on buying a naked group handle soon...

Originally posted by 032C2527300F232C2325272F272C36420 link=1285632571/3#3 date=1285635426
                  PPS. So what was it like in the mouth
                  Great!

Comment

Originally posted by 371513080F0513600 link=1285632571/5#5 date=1285690166
                    Good effort, and agree with some of the comments and in relationship to the above quote; Why not steam the milk before extraction? That way the espresso is not sitting as long in the cup/glass losing its freshness waiting for the milk.  
                    We talk about GOD (Grinding On Demand), not fussing about with the dosing and tamper and hitting the extraction button/lever as soon as the portafilter is in the group head. So why let it sit exposed waiting for the milk?   Advice received from a Barista friend recently. Any thoughts on this theory fellow CSs?  :
                    Cheers,
                    Kevo.
                    If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool who said, "Quit while youre ahead?"

Comment

Originally posted by 557B68711E0 link=1285632571/9#9 date=1285748260
                      Any thoughts on this theory fellow CSs?
                      Yes.

Its a bad theory.

Leaving the milk to stand while extracting the shot will allow the milk to separate.

Comment

Correct. So make use of the $3000 you paid for the machine and extract and steam at the same time. Time it so you have both finish roughly at the same time.

Comment

I say B

Comment

Originally posted by 5F44454E4E2B0 link=1285632571/12#12 date=1285770443

I say B
                            Id argue that it does both.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F4B5045564B240 link=1285632571/13#13 date=1285772300
                              Originally posted by 5F44454E4E2B0 link=1285632571/12#12 date=1285770443

I say B
                              Id argue that it does both.
                              As I said, tap away with impunity prior to tamping, at this stage there is no seal to break.

Comment

Working...
                              X