The art to the perfect cup of coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art to the perfect cup of coffee

Another Smh advertorial, simply written and easy to understand even if it does have a strong commercial bias.
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/the-art-to-the-perfect-cup-of-coffee-20100929-15x48.html

(According to the book, Bean There, Drunk That by brothers David and Matthew Gee who run Sydneys coffee academy Barista Basics, 90 per cent of baristas dont know how to adjust the grind of the coffee to achieve the optimal espresso.) Maybe theyre right, if the figure of 90% is around the mark no wonder its difficult to get a decent cuppa from Aussie coffee houses, however the cynic in me suggests they just may be pumping their Barista training classes, and why not? as they say any publicity is good.

Re: The art to the perfect cup of coffee

id suggest that its probly a touch under 90%
    on the other hand.. can someone who doesnt know how or why to adjust the grind really call themselves a barista? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 4A4E5540534E210 link=1285805702/1#1 date=1285806910
      on the other hand.. can someone who doesnt know how or why to adjust the grind really call themselves a barista? :-?
      The other issue is that even if they do have some understanding...

All to often teh owner and teh supplier of Beans and Equipment have an understanding..

The supplier will set the equipment up and NO is to touch it but them.

Comment

I suspected the word "Barista" is interpreted loosely by the author of the article as anyone behind a coffee machine.

I also suspect there statistics are based on their own observations from their training course where it is likely 90% of the students are there because they started working at a cafe a week ago.

Technique seems to be lacking over here in Perth. Too often I see people making coffees and tamping crooked or with the grinders built in tamp and locking it straight into the machine without wiping the stray grinds away.

Comment

Much as I know this sort of topic has ben done to death before figures approaching 90% are not surprising.

"Become a professional Barista in only 2 hours" (not these guys) is on one training companies website. :

"The Technician was here last month and set our grinder for us"

Job applicant to me I have done a "Barista course" last year. Me to them thats a good start but can you make a good coffee Most people in this case will need to be trained from scratch AGAIN from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A2D29262E243121262F480 link=1285805702/4#4 date=1285808526
            "Become a professional Barista in only 2 hours"
            Morning BF,
            Im sure no one believes 2 hours of training can turn out a competent barista, however Im sure that any person with an average intellect who is interested in learning would be able to grasp the concepts and even be able to pull an acceptable shot after 2 hours training.
            Heres a thought my wife has never had any more to do with a espresso machine than to wash the PF, will run her through the process in the next few days and report back, could be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by 1B272E3623420 link=1285805702/5#5 date=1285809799
              Im sure no one believes 2 hours of training can turn out a competent barista
              Dont you believe it... Coffee is simple...

Just listen to the sales pitches and the massive explosion of home machines and every second user calling themselves a Barista.

The next function I go to and where the person proclaims they are an expert Barista and starts to prattle on... I think I might just walk out.

Cause saying any thing is just a waste of time..

2 hr training courses and some basic Google searches, makes an expert out of any one...

Comment

Originally posted by 1C333A382F103C333C3A38303833295D0 link=1285805702/2#2 date=1285807950
                Originally posted by 4A4E5540534E210 link=1285805702/1#1 date=1285806910
                The other issue is that even if they do have some understanding...

All to often teh owner and teh supplier of Beans and Equipment have an understanding..

The supplier will set the equipment up and NO is to touch it    but them.
                This is all too true, and very sad.
                Originally posted by 043831293C5D0 link=1285805702/5#5 date=1285809799
                Im sure no one believes 2 hours of training can turn out a competent barista..
                youd be surprised. :-/

Originally posted by 1C333A382F103C333C3A38303833295D0 link=1285805702/6#6 date=1285812448
                Originally posted by 1B272E3623420 link=1285805702/5#5 date=1285809799
                Im sure no one believes 2 hours of training can turn out a competent barista
                Dont you believe it...  Coffee is simple...  

Just listen to the sales pitches and the massive explosion of home machines and every second user calling themselves a Barista.

The next function I go to and where the person proclaims they are an expert Barista and starts to prattle on... I think I might just walk out.

Cause saying any thing is just a waste of time..

2 hr training courses and some basic Google searches, makes an expert out of any one...
                ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                X