Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

    Hi,
    Just purchased myself a new Bezzera BZ07...awesome machine, BUT...i have a sunbeam cafe series grinder, now im not sure what im doing wrong, but i cant pull a good espresso (coming through very fast) i set the grind to very fine, tamping pretty hard...tried other variations too, not as fine, etc, etc, not sure what im doing wrong.
    Is it the grinder?
    Appreciate any help!

  • #2
    Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

    Ask a local coffee snob over for coffee with the proviso that they bring there grinder to test

    And as its said very often
    Use fresh beans or problems will be the result

    KK

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

      Originally posted by 62676D64697A6C7B080 link=1285936995/0#0 date=1285936995
      i have a sunbeam cafe series grinder
      What model?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

        The most expensive one in the cafe series line EM0480

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

          Originally posted by 30353F363B283E295A0 link=1285936995/3#3 date=1285945059
          The most expensive one in the cafe series line EM0480
          The grinder may not be ideal, but capable none teh less..

          But if it is fast as you suggest... My money is on the good old standard..

          Bloody good OLD Stale beans..

          The question is How old and from where ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

            Originally posted by 7B5F565655556F7B5F435D5F300 link=1285936995/1#1 date=1285938031
            And as its said very often
            Use fresh beans or problems will be the result

            Originally posted by 715E5755427D515E5157555D555E44300 link=1285936995/4#4 date=1285974312
            Bloody good OLD Stale beans..
            I think you guys have nailed it! i changed beans when i got home so i wouldnt waste the good stuff, only so i could learn and get used to how it all works.
            Ill put the good beans back in and give another whirl

            Gee, i had no idea!, i guess thats why theres sites like this, and guys like you who know what your on about!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

              Originally posted by 474248414C5F495E2D0 link=1285936995/5#5 date=1285974837
              I think you guys have nailed it! i changed beans when i got home so i wouldnt waste the good stuff, only so i could learn and get used to how it all works.
              Ill put the good beans back in and give another whirl
              Do not practice on OLD... Ya just wasting your time...

              Does a Boxer spar with a nube or does an Ocean sailor practice in an outboard on a dam.

              Gee, i had no idea!, i guess thats why theres sites like this, and guys like you who know what your on about!
              THANKS... We do on occasion get it right ;D

              PS. Please tell us more about your FRESH beans..

              PPS. Rough rule that you need to understand (note: lots of variables assumed and a generalisation, but you should get the picture)

              Green are ok for ~3 years
              Roasted are ok for ~3 weeks
              Ground are ok for ~3 min

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                I put the beans in that i got when i bought the machine, which was from Coffe Craft, the coffee is La Crema.

                The pour was definately slower (when changing beans, and tamping as hard as i can) but not the golden dribble that im after

                Tony from coffee craft mentioned that i should buy a rocky, i mean its not the bees knees of grinders, but a good entry level one at that.





                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                  While a Rocky, or an even better grinder, will make a positive difference in your coffee, the 0480 should do a fine enough grind for a decent cup.

                  If you are already on the finest grind, do a search of this website for the Sunbeam approved additions that allow finer grinds.

                  Greg

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                    Originally posted by 363339303D2E382F5C0 link=1285936995/7#7 date=1285979626
                    I put the beans in that i got when i bought the machine, which was from Coffe Craft, the coffee is La Crema.
                    So that was roasted WHEN ?

                    Originally posted by 1B2E393B0B332E313D30385C0 link=1285936995/8#8 date=1285980642
                    While a Rocky, or an even better grinder, will make a positive difference in your coffee, the 0480 should do a fine enough grind for a decent cup.
                    As greg said - A better grinder will assist with consistency and ability to reproduce on demand.....  Stale beans in a Ditting or another grinder > $3K will not help you make better coffee if the beans are stale.  

                    (yours - May have been OK at the shop BUT depending on what you did with them... May not be now - so how old).

                    So how long have the beans been sitting in the hopper ?  More than a couple of hrs and they are stale!!!

                    Suggest you go back to the sponsor and get some training and a better understanding of your machine...  

                    In order of importance... ( 1 and 2 can be swapped)

                    1: Beans
                    2: Grinder
                    3: User

                    AND last of all

                    4: Machine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                      I just went back to the shop and he said bring the machine in with the grinder during the week, hopefully get a bit of training then, and hopefully sort out the said issues

                      Originally posted by 4B646D6F78476B646B6D6F676F647E0A0 link=1285936995/9#9 date=1285986184
                      So how long have the beans been sitting in the hopper ?More than a couple of hrs and they are stale!!!
                      The beans i was originally using to start of with werent the new ones, yeah theyre old beans! gonna chuck them out!

                      The ones i bought are fine, sorry for the misunderstanding there!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                        Also...... :

                        As good a reputation as the Rocky maintains, there are probably better mid-range grinders out there, in the same price ballpark, that will be a better match for your Bezz. Always pays to have a look around before parting with your hard-earned.

                        By way of an example, Id buy a Eureka Mignon grinder before a Rocky. Of course, if youre prepared to spend more money, then the skys the limit....

                        Mal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                          Originally posted by 05282C202D410 link=1285936995/11#11 date=1286021790
                          Also...... :

                          As good a reputation as the Rocky maintains, there are probably better mid-range grinders out there, in the same price ballpark, that will be a better match for your Bezz. Always pays to have a look around before parting with your hard-earned.

                          By way of an example, Id buy a Eureka Mignon grinder before a Rocky. Of course, if youre prepared to spend more money, then the skys the limit....

                          Mal.
                          Oh so true... I find teh Eureka Mignon to be way out infron of the rocky and many others if ya looking at home and limited space..

                          As to the next step up... I understand tehre us a DITTING KR804 going for about 1/2 price - So if ya got at least $1.5K spare you can have ya self a bargain 8-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                            Hi guys,

                            Yeah, if only we had unlimited supply of money hey, wouldnt that be grand! ;D
                            The mignon does look nice, and if you guys think thats the way to go i trust your opinion. Im not sure if the shop can get them in though, i may have to ask. They have rockys in stock.

                            Originally posted by 6C434A485F604C434C4A48404843592D0 link=1285936995/12#12 date=1286025615
                            As to the next step up... I understand tehre us a DITTING KR804 going for about 1/2 price - So if yagot at least$1.5K spare you can have ya self a bargainCool
                            Haha, not sure wifey would approve of that one

                            Gonna have to try sell the sunbeam 5800, and grinder to help pay for the new grinder

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: new Bezzera, maybe not good enough grinder

                              Originally posted by 5D58525B56455344370 link=1285936995/13#13 date=1286069901
                              Im not sure if the shop can get them in though, i may have to ask. They have rockys in stock.
                              A number of sponsors have them...

                              CosmoreX Coffee for eg and A is only a only a quick e-mail to confirm availability.

                              Remember.  Grinders almost never fail and are as solid as.    Only things that fail are consumable items ie. Burrs over time OR some thing strange in the electronics for the more expensive items...  

                              Unless it get tossed off the plane rather than transported correctly...

                              PS. To me all decent grinders should come with at least a 2, 3 or even 5 year warranty (limited after 2 years).   And if ya look at the stats...  Even that is like $ in the bank...  

                              I mean look at the sales pitch... Which would you choose..

                              A: Grinder X  $600 12 months warranty (excluding burrs) OR

                              B: Grinder X $600 with a full 24month (excluding burrs)  plus additional 3 year limited warranty.

                              99.9% no more risk to the supplier doing B: if the grinder is one of quality and I bet a significant increase in sales...

                              Marketing 101 for those that care to read.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X