Banging coffee on benchtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banging coffee on benchtop

Sorry if this has been covered, but I have no idea what to search for!

My favourite coffee shop has a new barista and he keeps banging the milk on the benchtop. Once hes poured the coffee, he bangs the cup.

It really annoys me, but before I blow my top, I thought Id ask if there was a reason he is doing this?

Re: Banging coffee on benchtop

The milk jug or the actual cup?
    Banging the milk jug will help with the removal of larger bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by 515C5F51330 link=1287357375/1#1 date=1287357539
      The milk jug or the actual cup?
      The milk jug, then the actual cup - several times!

Comment

tell him to stop doing it

Comment

Maybe he is no good at making microfoam and is making milkshake bubbles

Sometimes if you fluff the initial part of the steaming you can get some big bubbles on the surface of the milk after steaming so as above the hitting the jug on the bench is needed or a good idea to pop them and make the pour run better.

Banging the cup is sounds like a habit or a cry for look at me look at me I am the Barista  :

Comment

Ask him why he is doing it!
            Get a conversation going.

As mentioned above, the jug is often done to remove larger bubbles (I do this myself).

On occassion, I have also tapped the cup once or twice when using very fresh and bubbly coffee to settle bubbles in the crema.

But rather than come up with theories, just ask him.

Brett.

Comment

I dont think it has anything to do with "look at me Im a barista" .. Dont be so quick to shoot people down.

Comment

Originally posted by 705D54496E65595E5C425E5F310 link=1287357375/6#6 date=1292805847
                I dont think it has anything to do with "look at me Im a barista" .. Dont be so quick to shoot people down.  
                Agree!

If the coffee is very fresh the crema will contain big bubbles - knocking the cup helps dissipate this.

As fof the milk in the jug, the occasional large bubble forms when youre making 100+ a day, and imo, knocking it out is better than leaving it in!

Comment

The dude hasnt quite mastered his milk, and yes the banging is to remove any big bubbles he has in the milk, also, he is likely banging the cup on the bench to do the same thing. Tell him to drop by the forum and get some tips! ;D

Comment

The OP never told us if the coffee was good/bad or indifferent.

I still maintain that we have no idea WHY he is doing it, so perhaps judging the barista is somewhat premature.

And the OP seems to have lost interest anyhow.

Comment

Exactly! When one is making coffees for a 170+ seat cafe, the odd bubble on top of the jug can happen!

Comment

this is quite simple, sometimes there are microbubbles in the milk after the pour and this simple "pops" those bubbles

Comment

I am guilty of banging the milk jug against the counter before pouring, and it is to elminate any larger bubbles,
                          which isnt to say my milk has been textured poorly!

Sometimes I find that through swirling the milk jug, an odd larger bubble might form, so the banging just removes it.

Comment

Banging the Jug (and the cup) chases away the evil spirits that mess up your latte art. If you have a closer look you will see that his lips are moving as he murmurs various protective incantations under his breath. I thought everyone did this.

Comment

Originally posted by 0A373B3321580 link=1287357376/13#13 date=1296468924
                              Banging the Jug (and the cup) chases away the evil spirits that mess up your latte art.  If you have a closer look you will see that his lips are moving as he murmurs various protective incantations under his breath.  I thought everyone did this.
                              Dont even bother trying to attempt latte art without those incantations; its futile.

Comment

Working...
                              X