No announcement yet.

Crema and milk frothing help please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crema and milk frothing help please....

The lack of or not much crema when making a shot of esspresso could indicate my grinds are too coarse?

Hubby and I just purchased a pack of ground coffee from the supermarket (so we could learn the machine) as we dont have a burr grinder yet. We get a crema to begin with but it doesnt sit long and from my experience when I worked in a cafe crema was supposed to last a while?

Also, The milk side of things, I am having trouble getting the milk to spin in the jug, Is it just a matter of trial and error with different holds of the jug in my hand to get it to spin?

Thanks

Re: Crema and milk frothing help please....

Welcome to the gang, stupormarket preground coffee is stale (no crema) and it is generally a mid grind (to course for espresso) so sorry you are on a loser.

You will need to add a conical burr grinder to the Gaggia, minimum is the 450 or 480 Sunbeam or a good quality Hand Grinder. Then off to shop for some "fresh beans" 2-4 weeks after roast MAX. For Espresso any more than 2-5 minutes after being ground the coffee produced will suffer .

Happy learning

Comment

Beanflying has given you the goods on why you arent getting decent crema.

As to your milk problem, try steaming water with a drop of dishwashing liquid in it. Cheaper than practising with milk.

You can even pour into 30mls of soy sauce to practice art ;D

There are a few threads on steaming around, have a read and practice, practice, practice

Comment

Thanks!

So when buying coffee beans, How long once bought can I assume to keep them for and still produce an OK coffee?
        Would storing them in an air tight canister keep them "fresher" longer?

I love the idea of experimenting with water and dishwashing liquid! Will definitely give that a go

Comment

Originally posted by 785E455F441E192C0 link=1288338276/3#3 date=1288342196
          I love the idea of experimenting with water and dishwashing liquid! Will definitely give that a go
          There is a thread here that discusses it, remember just a drop of detergent http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1242910296/3

Here is a good thread to help with milk technique http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

coffee beans should be stored in a cool dark place, most beans come in bags with one way valves and these are good to keep them in. I like to use beans between 4 days and 3 weeks after the date they were roasted, some beans are OK for longer some for shorter.

Comment

Working...
          X