Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gas fired commercial machines (or converting to gas?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas fired commercial machines (or converting to gas?)

are there any gas fired machines being used in OZ for mobile situations?

I have not seen any and wondered why?

surely its not that hard as plenty of pie vans still run them around the place. and noticed plenty in NZ ebing used on gas

was thinking about the thread La petite has just started about building a coffee van and that i have noticed a very new looking mobile unit pulling up at the local ferry stop and I could here the genny running.

thought GAS might be a cheaper outlay compared to cost and maintenance of a genny ? but wondered why it does not seem to be used mobie?

thoughts / experience ?

Re: gas fired commercial machines (or converting to gas?)

Hi maheel,

Plenty of lever machines were set up for gas. The standard Izzo Pompeii can be optioned with a gas burner.

My old Faema e-61 was also designed to run on a gas burner and its still resident in the machine  8-)

Chris

Comment

Just my 2c but I wouldnt be that keen to have a gas burner sitting in the van with me, could be convinced otherwise but just a feeling.

Have wondered myself why there are gas machines in vans in NZ but not in oz would love to know the answer.

Brett

Comment

Moto would it have something to do with easier regulations?

I went down the path of looking at the gas operated coffee machines at the start but was advised I would have had to have a special machine imported from Italy and facing a wrath of regulations on plumbing it in.

The ironic thing is youd still need a generator for your grinder, hot water system, lighting, pump and electronics of machine and refrigeration. So if anything you are potentially doubling up your costs rather then limiting them.

To note as well Generators on new vans by law have to be plumbed into your petrol reservoir rather then filled manually. Helps stop things go BANG.  ;D

Comment

Putting up hand as yes building a mobile Gas/inverter powered rig wont be really getting into it till after Christmas but the Z9 is going dual 240/Gas.

Originally posted by 70405B555A465740615B5657320 link=1288850630/3#3 date=1288855766
          need a generator for your grinder, hot water system, lighting, pump  
          Gas hot water ($2-500), 1500W inverter for the rest (now sub $200)

For those saying about Gas in enclosed vehicles etc it wont be in my case :

Comment

yeah i thought there would be regs and red tape but thought it would be along the lines of a caravan set up

but i guess caravans dont use their gas while your driving along

i thought you could use an inverter to run a grinder and fridge or a very small "silent" gen set rather than 5-6kwh job which = $$$$.

i agree Moto on driving around with the gas but you still have the gen & petrol in the back (or plumbed to tank etc)

anyway thought i would ask and see if any CSrs had done it....

Comment

I wouldnt have thought you would be allowed to drive around with the gas running. Gas fridges in caravans are always turned off when traveling and switched over to 12v. Would the pilot light go out traveling over bumpy roads?

Comment

It depends on proposed usage, mine is not for driving the streets making multiple stops more a convenient way to rapidly get going at one location (maybe two) for the day without the hassles of a Gen set running in the background or the vagaries of getting a 15A outlet.

As to driving the streets running wont be happening, plan is to plug in or flick it on before leaving for the job. Arrive then 10-15 minutes or so to reheat then away you go. Gas by all accounts is very quick and stable to run. Doing this on a 2 grp Lever with minimal electrics so rediated heat is less of a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X