Shots - start slow and finish quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots - start slow and finish quickly

Recently changed my coffee beans to another type - there Dibella so the beans are fine.

I think I might have been careless or inadvertently changed my tamping technique (uneven) or have filled portafilter incorrectly. The shots start slow (quite dark ) and then very quickly finish very pale and volume is too much.

Your comments and corrective adjustments to technique required would be appreciated.

Re: Shots - start slow and finish quickly

GRIND

PS. Sorry Ann (C8H10N4O2)  Regardless of who it is or teh roaster, storage and others things can mean that the odd batch may not always be up to scratch - or that your old method is suitable to get teh best from it....

But I still go with GRIND and tamp in the first instance..

Comment

Whilst you can get a bad batch of beans from any roaster, Most reputable roasters quality control will normally identify it prior to sale, it is not likely.

I agree with AM

Most times when you change the bean type/roast type etc you need to adjust the grind. Also changes in weather and age of the bean can require a change in the grind.

Grind / tamp or both are the main causes of what you have described. I have found even with beans from the same roast a couple of days difference can change the required grind size. If I am lazy (which I am) you can tamp harder or softer but sooner or later you will need to change the grind.

Comment

A slow dripping start then a fast finish indicates to me a low dose fine grind shot.

Try dosing higher at a coarser grind setting.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E4C4A51565C4A390 link=1289297230/3#3 date=1289300775
          A slow dripping start then a fast finish indicates to me a low dose fine grind shot.

Try dosing higher at a coarser grind setting.
          Yep.... Thats what I was going to suggest too. ;D

Doubt there is anything wrong with the beans or the roast batch they came from. Coffee from establishments such as Di Bella border on almost the fanatical when it comes to getting the best out of coffee beans.

But, we are talking about a fresh food product so slight variances from time to time are quite normal and taken care of by adjusting dose and/or grind after cracking open the bag for the first time, After that, only small adjustments are usually required to keep the coffee goodness flowing.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

I agree with a more coarse grind too and I do tend to cheat with the tamping pressure vs adjusting the grind instead. My old EM6910 loved Di Bella beans and its design around updosing worked perfectly with the recommended shorter shot duration (around 19 seconds).

Was so easy it get the best it could out of the Ali/Arnika/Felici bends vs a few other non Di Bella I have used.  It can be a tad trickier hitting the sweet spot with the Duetto due to the lesser dose, but the slight bitterness that was always present on the EM6910, no matter what you did, disappears and its coffee heaven.  Even with that bitterness the shots were quite amazing, though they wouldnt have been possible without a mid to high end grinder.

Di Bella totally need to open up a place in Canberra already

Comment

Originally posted by 2C35312635540 link=1289297230/5#5 date=1289312915
              I do tend to cheat with the tamping pressure vs adjusting the grind instead.
              There is only so much that tamping harder can help. Pump pressure dwarfs tamping pressure.

Comment

I was highlighting what Stan said earlier about holding off adjusting the grind straight away if its fairly close anyway.  I only tamp around the 10-15kg mark.  If it requires any more or less than that to get it right then the grind is way off and adjusting it makes far more sense.

Bad technique? maybe. If I was only tamping harder all the time I would agree, but it still can work well as long as you stay conscious of the changes.

Comment

Working...
                X