Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know any home coffee courses in the Bankstown area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know any home coffee courses in the Bankstown area?

Hi. About to get my first machine and was looking at doing a home coffee course to get familiar with it. Couple questions:

1. Do you think I need to do a course or is there enough info on websites and the manual and whatnot?

2. If so, do you know any good courses in the Bankstown area?

I live in Roselands so anywhere in around there, Belmore, Lakemba, Campsie, Marrickville, etc. Im only looking at making good coffee at home, not necessarily becoming a barista. I dont want to spend more than $100 on this. Ive looked at places like Jetblack (where Im getting the machine from) but its quite a trip from where I am.

Re: Know any home coffee courses in the Bankstown area?

Cant help with the courses but reading will only get you so far, the money you spend on training will be worth it (as long as it is quality). Having someone show you how to tamp correctly or what silky milk looks like is so much better that reading or just watching videos.

Brett

Comment

ask for a voucher for a training course as a chrissie gift from the wife/husband/mum/dad/brother etc for say Jetblack and then you can do it whenever it is convenient for you.

Comment

I live very close to Roselands and am willing to come to your place and show you the ropes on your own equipment and you can decide at the end how much of the $100 my instruction was worth.

By the way, which machine and grinder did you buy?

Comment

I suggest you take thundergod up on his offer. If you think his training was worth $5 thats all it needs to cost you.
          So far Ive found his advice on this forum to be reliable. Youll get better value than from a formal course - and on your own equipment too!

Comment

Ive ordered a Lelit Combi (which is on back-order).

Thanks for the offer, but Ill hold off taking you up on it for now. You gave me the idea to ask a mate of mine (who used to run a coffee shop). If he cant help me I may be back (on bended knee  )

Comment

Originally posted by 3A373320343B373E36520 link=1289959539/5#5 date=1290327745
              used to run a coffee shop
              But is he a coffee snob?
              The offer still stands if you decide to take me up on it later.

Comment

My mate came over. His verdict:

Said the coffee/water and steam wasnt hot enough. Could not texturize the milk because of the steam. Also not hot enough for proper crema (hes right, there is barely any). Was flabbergasted when I told him how much I paid for it

Comment

Originally posted by 5B565241555A565F57330 link=1289959539/7#7 date=1292661232
                  My mate came over. His verdict:

Said the coffee/water and steam wasnt hot enough. Could not texturize the milk because of the steam. Also not hot enough for proper crema (hes right, there is barely any).  Was flabbergasted when I told him how much I paid for it
                  Be warned... Not all people that work in a cafe know much about Machines... OR coffee for that matter.

There are a number of topics that focus on this unit and I suggest you go and read up...

As to Crema... I bet the beans were stale to start with...

What grinder were you using and what beans..

Comment

Hi there AM, and OPer. Its a Lelit Combi and they are fantastic value for money. No it isnt a commercial machine nut neither is it a dud. Id be PMing TG really fast because if it is broken he will be able to tell you what to tell the repairer. If it is your technique that is broken he will fix that also. If $100 is all you have to pay for peacemof mind and a great start to your Christmas Coffee journey itd be a bargain. Now speaking of duds, where did your ma...

P.s Ive never met TG but if he is half as good in person as his informative and generous posts, you are in for a treat!

Comment

TG if you dont mind Im gonna be hitting you up soon for your services/help ;D Im in croydon Park and buying a machine in the next week or so

Im a complete virgin to the coffee game, Im shocked at the art and science behind the whole experience and I seriously cant wait to be as obsessed as you snobs!

Im glad theres a world of fussy people who cant stand the coffee we get from cafes these days! 8-)

Comment

Croydon Park is close by.
                        Happy to be of service.
                        Same offer as above.
                        You supply fresh beans, milk, machine and grinder.
                        You decide what lesson was worth at the end.
                        Im still not working so currently free most days.
                        However if Im lucky I might have some work starting half-way through January at which time my availability will be curtailed to weekends and evenings.

If you want help deciding on what to buy drop me a PM.

Comment

TG comes highly recommended and is always very helpful on and off the forum. Dont hesitate, youll not only save time (and believe me you can spend an eternity going around in circles) but also learn more from his experience than any course will offer.

I spent money on courses before I became a snob, Im not against them at all but a bonifide snob is worth their weight IMO

Comment

Originally posted by 122E3328222334212922460 link=1289959539/11#11 date=1293492961
                            Croydon Park is close by.
                            Happy to be of service.
                            Same offer as above.
                            You supply fresh beans, milk, machine and grinder.
                            You decide what lesson was worth at the end.
                            Im still not working so currently free most days.
                            However if Im lucky I might have some work starting half-way through January at which time my availability will be curtailed to weekends and evenings.

If you want help deciding on what to buy drop me a PM.

PM sent

Comment

Working...
                            X