Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming a single boiler

Evening all

With the ECM Botticelli I was taught that I needed to prime the boiler after steaming. The way I was taught was after turning off the steam button, press the hot water button, open up the steam wand and wait for water to come out. This ensured the boiler was primed for the next shot.

What I am wondering is if I can change the process a little to save on some water and some mess.

Will it hurt the machine if instead of opening up the steam wand to let water purge, I leave the steam wand closed so that when the water comes through, it gets sent back into the water tank?

I hope that this is clear?? What do people think?

Shannon.

Re: Priming a single boiler

do it the way your taught

if you do this
    "Will it hurt the machine if instead of opening up the steam wand to let water purge, I leave the steam wand closed so that when the water comes through, it gets sent back into the water tank?"

and by water coming out you mean the group head, you have not filled the boiler by doing this.

the steam wand draws steam from the top (or close to) of the boiler, by filling till water comes out the wand u know the boiler "must" be full. if it just comes out the Ghead at the bottom you will still have air space in the boiler....

save the water in a milk jug when its cold tip it on the garden.....

Comment

I agree with maheel 8-)

if you dont prime the boiler you risk burning out the element

Comment

I always purged the steam wand until water flowed when I had Sylvia and had no problems, just purge into a jug

Comment

Originally posted by 447F7679797879170 link=1289987333/0#0 date=1289987333
          Will it hurt the machine if instead of opening up the steam wand to let water purge, I leave the steam wand closed so that when the water comes through, it gets sent back into the water tank?
          I think that it is important to be able to fill the space in the boiler with water, as noted in posts above.

If you try to refill the boiler with the steam wand closed, you risk not actually refilling the boiler with water because the steam and air inside cant escape to allow the water in, and the best place for the escape is out the top, which is why we leave the steam valve open for refilling.

The small amount of water loss may be significant to you, but there are other possibilities that you can use it for as noted above.

Hope this is clear.

Bullitt

Comment

Thank you all for the replies
            I made one of those mistakes that you hate to own up to - but I will.

The way that I was thinking was that when I pull a shot the excess water runs back into the water tank via the OPV - my thinking was if this happens during the shot then I could keep the wand closed to reprime and the water would then try to go through the wand, not be able to and then go back through to the water tank.
            "Insert head slap here"

The water only goes back into the water tank once in cannot make it out of the group head. Doh!!

So yes I will continue to prime the way I have been. My process is pretty much what others have said. I use the excess water to start to clean my milk jug after steaming.

Thanks again for the replies

Comment

Working...
            X