Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many CSrs have/suffer a funny palate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many CSrs have/suffer a funny palate?

I was wondering how many other CS’rs were like me.

I have a ridiculously good/sensitive sense of smell.  When I’m pouring my shot in my ‘bottom of the range machine’ (0450 grinder and 4800), I can smell blonding.  It smells sour, almost like urine sometimes.  When I crack open a freshly roasted (rested for a day or so) pack of coffee, the smell is too much (nice from afar), and I could never whiff it freshly ground.  But I love a ristretto shot poured directly over ice with a shot of soy-milk.  It’s my staple .  
    I much prefer roasted coffee consumed in a week from roasting, depending on how dark the roast is.

I’m not into commercial beer, and most wine.  I don’t know why.  I can drink home brewed beer until I fall over, but commercial beer & wine either makes me feel very sick very fast or I just can’t drink more than a bottle without feeling “gassed up” or nauseous.

I dont know anyone else like this, but I thought this would be the place of all places.

Re: How many CSrs have/suffer a funny palate?

I dont know if I can smell blonding, but I can hear pudding!

Comment

I cant help you with your palate, but the beer problem is likely due to the pasteurisation method used by the majority of major breweries! Keeps it "fresh", apparently... :-/

Comment

Ah ha, at the risk of going off topic, what commercial beer isn’t pasteurised?

Comment

Coopers, of SA, nurture a secondary fermentation to carbonate their "cloudy" beers within the bottle or can, so pasteurisation and filtration is avoided as it would kill the yeast responsible for this process. Thats why there is sludge in the bottom of their bottles.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 10332E292F313B38362F3F5A0 link=1290756865/0#0 date=1290756865
            but commercial beer & wine either makes me feel very sick very fast or I just can’t drink more than a bottle without feeling “gassed up” or nauseous.
            Sodium metabisulfite maybe?

Most commercial businesses (and some home brew people too) use it to clean the bottles, causes havoc with lots of people via broncho-restriction and can even bring on an asthma attack.

Comment

Pasteurisation does not keep beer fresh! It kills the live yeast that provides the bubbles and ensures the beer goes stale.

Homebrew will keep fresh for months or years! (If it doesnt all get consumed earlier.)

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 416E6479000 link=1290756865/5#5 date=1291018402
                Sodium metabisulfite maybe?

Most commercial businesses (and some home brew people too) use it to clean the bottles, causes havoc with lots of people via broncho-restriction and can even bring on an asthma attack.
                Yeah, nasty stuff that.... :P

Stops me from enjoying a wide range of beers that have this chemical in the process train - severe asthma attacks strike within minutes....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X