Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee techician from coffee company or experienced barista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee techician from coffee company or experienced barista?

Who would you trust to tinker with the coffee extraction?
    a coffee technician from a large coffee company or an experience barista with 11 yrs experience?

Re: Coffee techician from coffee company or experienced barista?

damm typo, I meant to say an espresso machine technician

Comment

Thats whats called "a loaded question".

Theres not enough information to go by.

Without more info I wouldnt trust either.

I know of espresso machine technician from a large company that dont know how to make a good coffee and I also know of "baristas" that have been around for a long time that also dont know how to make a good coffee.

Originally posted by 776277746E070 link=1290768810/0#0 date=1290768810
      barista with 11 yrs experience?  
      Looks to me like you mean a particular person.  

Its a strange first post :-? (welcome to Coffee Snobs by the way).

How about you not be so secretive and give us the whole story.

Comment

yeah was the pre-tinkering extraction any good?

Comment

Well the barista managed to get 1 bean from melbourne coffee review by tinkering with the dosage and grind of coffex coffee.
          Machine technician has never worked in a coffee store before but seems to know what he was doing.

The pre tinkering flow rate was very fast

Comment

Originally posted by 3124313228410 link=1290768810/4#4 date=1290771912
            melbourne coffee review
            MCR ;D

As to who would you trust, neither as getting a good extraction is not a matter of setting and walking away. I have heard "Barists" comments like our technician was hear a few weeks ago and set our grinder for us  :

Comment

Its really not rocket science Pepsi. Trial by error is a great way to learn! Lots of people are paranoid about the wastage, but once you spend an hour or 2 fiddling it really seems worthwhile!

Comment

I think I could get at least 1 bean at home.

Comment

Places with varying humidity sometimes have to adjust the grinder several times a day just to keep the pour consistent. Not to mention allowing for consistent dosing and tamping by more than one barista.

Comment

Originally posted by 1529342F252433262E25410 link=1290768810/7#7 date=1290821743
                    I think I could get at least 1 bean at home.
                    It would depend on which of their non coffee experienced/trained journalists they sent to do the review. We have a fairly cheesed off sponsor whose Melbourne operation got an undeserved review and only 2 beans instead of the 3 they deserve, based on other reviews in the past seeing them easily in the top 10 in Melbourne.

There is a fair bit of blog and twitter based discussion on reviewing the reviewers going on at present.

Comment

Originally posted by 6F6C7F7F68610D0 link=1290768810/8#8 date=1290822473
                      Reply #8 - Today at 12:47  Places with varying humidity sometimes have to adjust the grinder several times a day just to keep the pour consistent.  Not to mention allowing for cons
                      This should read all places as the humidity in every cafe varies as does temperature so the grinder should need adjusting a few times every day.

Brett

Comment

No one can answer the question in "black and white".

Depends on the tech, just as it depends on the bar wrister.

Some techs fix machines and thats it, others have a love of the product and take it further than just fixing or servicing the equipment.

Some espresso machine operators like to tell anyone that will listen that they have 20 years experience....and unfortunately it is 20 years experience of perpetuating bad habits or not keeping with the times.....

So depends on the individual.

Ultimately if your coffee supplier has a training room, trainers and its own baristas, I would be inclined to go with what they say / do because it is in the suppliers best interest to make sure you the client is doing it right....for both of you. Ask for the coffee suppliers Quality Control rep or whatever they call it. We have one!

Beware of the "common practice" of people in cafes calling in independent trainers or consultants or listening to all and sundry so called baristas whoever they may be...... it can cause bad blood between the client (the cafe) and his supplier due to the independents giving you their take on things, and it differs or contradicts the suppliers take on things. It is counterproductive not to give your supplier the first bite of the cherry on how to do things if he can demonstrate that his advice or set up produces the goods (for both of you) and sometimes, independent trainers and consultants have their own barrow to push (read here their own coffee bean supply) so they dont mind if they stir the pot a little. What I am saying is, there is a lot of BS and hidden agendas and affiliations in coffee industry so you have to think like a logical intelligent human being and properly weigh up what people are telling you when making decisions that can impact on your business (like setup of equipment and training).  

Re changing grinder settings:
                        It is my own opinion that all too often too much is made of this and people that dont have much coffee knowledge who read these & other forums, often get the wrong idea and go away thinking they need to change their grind setting at the drop of a hat several times a day....when it simply isnt true.

If correct rate of pour and good coffee keeps on keeping on...leave it alone until something changes and something does need adjusting.

Dont go looking to make adjustments....make them only as and when required and the coffee tells you when that is....if you know what you are doing. Operators who do not understand the importance of CONSISTENT technique (there goes the C word again) are the worst offenders usually blaming the beans saying they are not consistent because they have to keep changing the grind all the time.....it usually turns out to be their inconsistent technique varying from one grind/dose/tamp to the next. When they are shown to keep it consistent, everything settles down especially the "necessity" to keep playing with the grind.

Thats just my take on it from experience.

Weve all suffered from bad press written by ignoramuses from time to time. It is human nature for the business that received the bad press to take in personally and go on about it....while it usually goes over everyone elses head and is gone in a flash. Dont perpetuate the bad stuff, leave it alone and let it pass quickly.

Even the very act of discussing it here or in blogs and twitters innocently trying to show support, perpetuates the bad press for the business..... if you want to support the business better to let it slide and it will go away quicker instead of you drawing it to the attention of even more people that didnt know about it in the first place. The doors will open again tomorrow and the clients will come as usual.

If you are into adversarial conduct you can give the ignorant journo a private serve HOWEVER when you think about it it is often better to invite them back and educate them. The thing that first gave you heart burn could well turn into a win/win if you do it right.

Apologies for another long post but one line questions and resulting one line replies dont always cover everything.

Regardz to all,
                        Attilio
                        very first CS site sponsor

Comment

Working...
                        X