Kopi Luwak for December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kopi Luwak for December

After all these years Ive finally managed to taste the mythical Kopi Luwak... and like all mythical beasts, it didnt really live up to its reputation.

One of the local roasters is offering Kopi Luwak for the month of December as a specialty bean. The price is through the stratosphere (about $1 per gram I believe) and a single shot cost $10... still it is a very rare opportunity indeed to try this coffee. Unfortunately, by ordering a shot, you are giving one of the worlds most expensive beans to a person-who-works-the-coffee-machine and more alarmingly, this particular outfit train their staff to under-extract their shots, as their standard "private blend" has an ashy taste under normal extraction conditions... So it was that the shot was under-extracted with a pallid crema and thin body. Not much to say about it other than there were no "bad" flavours. It was just a tad sour and thin and otherwise smooth. A bit of not much to say for $10... But at least Ive tried it!

Re: Kopi Luwak for December

Would you mind sharing the location?
    If not publicly, PM perhaps?

Cheers!

Comment

Its Merlo.  I got my fix at UQ, but it should be available at any of their stores.

and while my opinion may not be too positive, in perspective the shot was cheaper than a parking fine and you get something more substantial for your money... plus bragging rights.

Comment

Haha, thanks mate. I get asked by friends about that coffee, I might as well try it!

I might try out one of the better Merlo cafes and see how it is... perhaps in something other than espresso.

Cheers

Comment

A tray of the primary product in question, Nuff said I reckon  :

Comment

I will have two batches of Alsatian Arabica ready to ship first thing in the morning.

Comment

And the best reason not to buy it is the battery farming methods being used for a lot of it. The formerly wild Civets are also grown for meat throughout Asia.

Originally posted by 57646B617C5A422B050 link=1291721425/5#5 date=1291772736
              Alsatian Arabica
              Think I might pass on this one too

Comment

in a way they are just value adding to their farming methods

feeding them on coffee beans is just increasing their income diversity and should be celebrated as entrepreneurial    

civet cat farms and eating them has gone on for a long time

no real differance to us intensive farming animals here in Australia
                eg pigs, chickens, steers / cows, rabbit, quail, piegion or fish.

if westerners are silly enough to want to drink cat poo coffee then why should they not exploit the opportunity?

Comment

And yet Kopi advertising promotes the wild image of gathering it from the forest etc. I just think it is important that everyone knows how it is now generally made. Also important to note is that there is no control or specific varietal fed to them so factor in the likelihood of rubish tasting beans going in and really ..... ones coming out  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2225212E262C39292E27400 link=1291721425/8#8 date=1291780657
                    I just think it is important that everyone knows how it is now generally made. Also important to note is that there is no control or specific varietal fed to them so factor in the likelihood of rubish tasting beans going in and really ..... ones coming out  ;D
                    Wasnt that part of what made the coffee special?

That the wild Civets would only eat the coffee cherries when they were at the optimum, and therefore the beans were also at the optimum.

Now they are fed in cages they eat what they get given.

Comment

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1267240663/60#60][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

The thread has been closed to keep spammers away

Comment

Working...
                      X