Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting it right from the beginning (Level/Tamp etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting it right from the beginning (Level/Tamp etc)

Hey guys,

Ive been lurking on CS for a while now. I contacted the sponsors a while ago and finally purchased a Rancilio Rocky and Silvia. In the package, I was given a 58mm tamper and two extra baskets that the rep said were better than the silvia standard ones.

I have a few problems. After going through 1/2kg of coffee trying almost everything I read online... its time to ask some questions.

I have no idea what brand or model these baskets are - any way to tell? How/why would they be better than the standard ones? What should I look for in the baskets?

The tamper I was given is a stainless steel "incasa" tamper that is supposed to be 58mm, but I cant find reference to one being 58 anywhere online. Furthermore, when I grind, level then tamp, I have a LOT of coffee grind in the ring that surrounds the wall of the basket. So much that I often cant see the line that Im supposed to tamp down to. From what I have read, the buildup of coffee grinds around the ring are contributing to ruining my espresso flavour.

After measuring, the tamper is a GENEROUS 57... most probably smaller. Have I been given the wrong product, or has someone pulled a swifty on me? I will be going back in to the store when they re-open. I would like to know exactly what I was given, and whether it is suitable or not.

Any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated - thanks very much guys!

Kris

Re: Getting it right from the beginning (Level/Tamp etc)

Incasa make tampers for 51mm, 57mm and 58mm according to the site I found.

Have you put the tamper in the basket without any coffee?
    Is there a clear gap?
    If so, it is possible you got a 57mm tamper rather than a 58mm, but it might just be an honest mistake.

When you return to the shop, take your basket with you and try out the replacement tamper on it before you leave. Youre after a good fit, but not so tight the tamper will jam in the basket.

As to why the rep says the other baskets are better, you should ask him why this is so. Baskets come in varying sizes (eg: how many grams they can hold) and there are ridged ones, ridgeless ones and some have better perforations than others, but only he can really answer why he thinks these ones are better than standard.

Comment

fatboy - thanks very much for the response.

Ill take it into him and see what he thinks. I will also ask about the basket. I havent got scales sensitive enough to see if they hold different amounts - but they are definitely a different shape. I will see what he thinks and pull a few through each when I have my technique sorted out and see what I prefer.

Thanks again!

Comment

fatboy - sorry - could you also provide me with a link.  The only 58mm incasa tampers I can find online are NOT solid stainless steel (they are coloured) - the SS ones seem to be 51 and 57... maybe you are better at google than me though haha - Im still trying to work out all of the terms and models and differences

Comment

Originally posted by 776E756F7E70697F74796E1C0 link=1293692246/0#0 date=1293692246
          ...I have no idea what brand or model these baskets are - any way to tell?  How/why would they be better than the standard ones?  What should I look for in the baskets?

....The tamper I was given is a stainless steel "incasa" tamper that is supposed to be 58mm, but I cant find reference to one being 58 anywhere online. Any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated - thanks very much guys!

Kris
          Hi Kris,

If the the double basket is deeper than the standard Silvia one, it will be fine...

The Incasa brand of tampers are cheap and nasty- often "given away" by some vendors to secure a sale. As you have also noticed, theyre poorly sized and I suspect you do have their version of a 58mm (more like 56mm). Chances are you got what you paid for!

Best bet is to buy a good real tamper which is ergonomic and within 1mm of your basket diameter, and spend $80 to around $180 to get one... Think kitchen knife- $5 cheapie from the stoopidmarket (disposable) or lifetime investment.

That said, the main issue is likely to be your technique, and not your tamper as I could get a good shot out of a Silvia without a tamper at all!

With your machine, if you looked for the cheapest price, you probably purchased a box without training... www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm will probably help you a little.

Best bet might be to get some training on your machine so as to allow you to get the best from it.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Hi Talk Coffee,

Thanks for replying. I figured as much - since I could barely find anything online about incasa!

I suspect I was given the wrong product - and will go and see what the rep thinks.

I actually didnt source the cheapest price. I found it cheap online - but went with someone who gave me the time of day at the Food and Wine expo a little while ago. Training was supposed to be included - but Im not entirely sure what that comprises of.

I was shown how to setup the grinder and how to use the silvia - but that is evidently quite different to how to pull an amazing shot that makes you feel like you got a great machine hahaha

I think Ill be going back in with my portafilter, baskets, tamper and some questions. Well see how it goes from here - hopefully the aftersales service is as good as the pre-sale

Comment

Originally posted by 4B524953424C5543484552200 link=1293692246/5#5 date=1293694382
              I was shown how to setup the grinder and how to use the silvia - but that is evidently quite different to how to pull an amazing shot that makes you feel like you got a great machine hahaha
              You will be right once you have about 100k shots up ;D

Comment

hahaha it is the same with anything really... practice practice practice!

Just thought Id introduce myself, join the community and throw it out there - as I find that perfect practice is the only want to get perfection...

If I keep practicing my crappy technique... I dont see anything improving ahaha

Comment

I did a bit more reading last night - and this morning, I tried a NSEW tamp and no tap - my coffee was a LOT better. Im thinking I must have been getting some serious channelling from my previous technique. Im going to wait until lunchtime to try that out again.

Comment

Like Chris said, getting a tamper that fits properly is a good step forward. NSEW is one way to try to achieve a proper tamp but its far better to get a tamper that fits your basket properly in the first place so you only need one tamp.

Silvia baskets vary by several tenths of a millimetre but a 58.0mm will be an improvement on what you have at the moment, and there are many good tampers on the market that will come in that size. If you want to go one step better we can supply either a tamper machined to fit the basket you send in to us, or to a Synesso basket we supply with the tamper which replaces your current basket. Either way you get a much better fit again.

Greg

Comment

Greg, do you fit your tampers to the mm or allow about 1 mm "wiggle room"?

Comment

Greg - funny you should post - I just put an order in a few days ago for a Stealth Barista tamper and double synesso basket.

I look forward to playing with my new tamper.

I got some good training from a really skilled Brisbane barista a few days ago who had a look at my grind and technique. I got to play with her basket and tamper and what do you know - my shots were a lot tastier and more consistent with her gear, knowledge and advice.

Im really enjoying the process of learning and tasting the differences as I go.

Thanks for the support guys - and thanks for the brilliant product Greg. Products like yours NEED to be supported!

Comment

Soudns like you have a similar setup to me krisb - now complete with a pullman tamper as well

Ive also got the different basket (got my machine through talk coffee) with the ridge about 2/3 the way up, ive found I need to dose a little bit above the ridge in the basket to get a nice shot, anything under that and I get a water underextraction

my 58mm tamper fits the basket as good as you could ever want a tamper to fit

Comment

Excellent phrostyboi. Did you get one from Pullman, send yours in or just send a measurement?

I cant wait for mine to arrive!

Comment

Working...
                            X