Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Project: E61 Custom Portafilter Handle (Wood)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Project: E61 Custom Portafilter Handle (Wood)

My dads favourite hobby is wood turning and he has just about every tool you could imagine.  Over the Xmas break I asked him to have a go at creating a custom group handle for my E61 (Alex Duetto II). Attached is the result (before & after)...

I think it looks fantastic!

Total cost < $10
    x1 piece of hardwood
    x1 bolt from Bunnings ($2.80)

I have seen similar offerings online for $100+

Has anyone had a go at customising their own handles?  If so, what was your design?  We copied this look from my plastic handle.  For the next one we might try re-creating the retro look (lots of bumps).

Cheers,
    David

Re: Weekend Project: E61 Custom Portafilter Handle (Wood)

Looks great David, maybe get him to do a matching tamper handle??

Comment

Originally posted by 2F3C23223F2D222E4B0 link=1295141477/0#0 date=1295141477
      My dads favourite hobby is wood turning and he has just about every tool you could imagine.  Over the Xmas break I asked him to have a go at creating a custom group handle for my E61 (Alex Duetto II). Attached is the result (before & after)...

I think it looks fantastic!

Total cost < $10
      x1 piece of hardwood
      x1 bolt from Bunnings ($2.80)

I have seen similar offerings online for $100+

Has anyone had a go at customising their own handles?  If so, what was your design?  We copied this look from my plastic handle.  For the next one we might try re-creating the retro look (lots of bumps).

Cheers,
      David

Well done...

I did all mine for my previous machine and even did gauge surrounds as well a drip tray handles in wood...

I have yet to do any for the DCM as the hard part is coming up with the nice hardwood. I did a rough one up out of drift wood and the new owner is SA did some fine polishing etc and it looks a treat.

As to price... Remember the parts are one thing the time and effort is what can never be costed.

Keep up the good work and use it as a bonding time with ya dad.

Comment

That looks fantastic. I really have a thing against plastic. Timber and metal just feel so much more solid and raw to me. Unfortunately though, Im bad with woodwork

Comment

looks really nice. what type of wood was it?

Comment

Dad says the wood is Queen Ebony

Heres a description I found on the web, sounds pretty tough!

http://www.sitcoaustralia.com.au/queen_ebony.php

Comment

Working...
            X