Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Luke Warm Cappa

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Luke Warm Cappa

    Baristas, beware of rant >
    Returning home from Melbourne airport earlier in the week I swung by a well known cafe/roastery/site sponsor to pick up some beans and also for a couple of cappucinos while there. The Cappas tasted great as befitting there reputation and equipment used, latte art was excellant it looked good and tasted good but it was luke warm and I do mean luke warm. What is it with Baristas, are we supposed to like luke warm Cappas. If latte art = luke warm, for mine forget the rosetta and just serve it a decent temperature.
    End of rant.

  • #2
    Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

    I to have been served coffee that was cooler than blood temperature (37C).

    At what stage is it iced coffee?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

      I too dislike LUKE warm coffee and you have made an excellent comment and........did you tell them?

      Particularly as they are CS sponsors, I am sure they would value your comment.

      It is not unheard of for sponsors to find that CS members have been in, didnt get something or werent treated in a manner they thought they should, they dont tell you, and the first you find out about it is after they have posted something up in the site.

      Not that the sponsors name was mentioned....but we view this as a kind of "retrospective set up" where CS people expect you to do something or be something and if you dont deliver what was expected, you get caned by people using anonymous pseudonyms..

      Sponsors value input from CS members. Its obvious that input helps improve the level of service they can give to you and improves their business...everybody wins, so I ask again.....did you tell them, and were you happy your enquiry was handled in the right way?

      As a sponsor, I find it odd that many CS people dont identify themselves to their sponsors or want to engage in anything meaningful for the good of the coffee which after all, is what we are all here for.

      In my own little company we have 2 CS "aware" people in our management team and time permitting, they are always available and happy to talk to CS members......if they identify themselves.....

      This should be interpreted as nothing more than a general reply to the topic. A reply, from the ""other side of the coin".

      End of my own rant here 

      Regardz,
      Attilio.







      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

        Im with Attilio on this one.

        Im always asking the same thing after these kinds of posts..."did you tell them?"

        In my case, if visiting a sponsor for the first time Ill just play customer, so as to get the usual service. Feedback then is useful.
        Ive found that if I introduce myself first, I get treated even better than the sponsors usual high standard and feedback then is irrelevant.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

          Originally posted by 7549544F454453464E45210 link=1299987066/3#3 date=1300068051
          Im with Attilio on this one.

          Im always asking the same thing after these kinds of posts..."did you tell them?"

          In my case, if visiting a sponsor for the first time Ill just play customer, so as to get the usual service. Feedback then is useful.

          Ive found that if I introduce myself first, I get treated even better than the sponsors usual high standard and feedback then is irrelevant.
          Ditto


          I also think that having staff CS aware has other benefits as well.

          PS. TG as your so well known and recognisable, how do you ever get to be just a customer

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

            Originally posted by 7B545D5F48775B545B5D5F575F544E3A0 link=1299987066/5#5 date=1300072347
            TG as your so well known and recognisable, how do you ever get to be just a customer
            It gets more difficult as time goes on.

            All feedback can be constructive if given and accepted in good spirits.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

              Good points everyone thanks for positive input.
              For the record I did not tell them I was a CS member though the Saturday morning crew have probably identified me as a CSr, this was a week day with a different crew but it shouldnt make any difference really , nor did I alert them to its luke warm status,  theyre the professional baristas, they served it up, I just did what I suppose most others do, I left disappointed.
              It was the first time my wife has accompanied me to a well credentialed cafe and I do not think she will be in a hurry to return , her memory of the experience was luke warm coffee, not flavour or presentation .
              I have not named names for obvious reasons, I see no need to make a mountain out of a molehill and I shall return as I like there beans and the accompanying short black is uaually very good.
              It was just a bit of a disappointment at the time(I was hanging out for a decent Cappa) that I thought was worth a post for the benefit of Baristas which may read it.



              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                Originally posted by 746B61706D636F6770020 link=1299987066/0#0 date=1299987066
                Baristas, beware of rant >
                Returning home from Melbourne airport earlier in the week I swung by a well known cafe/roastery/site sponsor to pick up some beans and also for a couple of cappucinos while there. The Cappas tasted great as befitting there reputation and equipment used, latte art was excellant it looked good and tasted good but it was luke warm and I do mean luke warm. What is it with Baristas, are we supposed to like luke warm Cappas. If latte art = luke warm, for mine forget the rosetta and just serve it a decent temperature.
                End of rant.

                No latte art doesnt mean it has to be made at that temp, I to find it annoying to get one that low in temperature.....although if requested to make coffee on the cool side I have no problem obliging

                I like my latte caps and fws to be at about 60 thats perfect i reckon .....most of my customers prefer 60-65 and a nice pre warmed cup also.

                I agree though if you arent happy, just let them politely know and they would probably be happy to make you another one as you request.....within reason

                I am only too happy to make the customer what they request, as long as its not ridiculously over heated milk.....I wont take it much over 65- 70 max and if they want it really hot well then i just have to heat the cup up alot....not the milk.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                  Originally posted by 736C66776A64686077050 link=1299987066/6#6 date=1300083162
                  I thought was worth a post for the benefit of Baristas which may read it.
                  That doesnt fix the problem.

                  So what if another barista reads your post?
                  Whats the chance the one that made your coffee reads it?
                  Even if they do they probably wont think it was them.

                  Do what I do; tell them; then and there (quietly of course).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                    Originally posted by 437760766D5A466A63636060050 link=1299987066/2#2 date=1300054406
                    In my own little company we have 2 CS "aware" people in our management team and time permitting, they are always available and happy to talk to CS members......if they identify themselves.....
                    Slightly aside from the original thread, but Im curious by what method people identify themselves.  Are people generally already talking to a staff member when its mentioned, or do you mention it when you order the beverage?

                    Ive only IDd myself once but that time I was already sitting down and chatting with a staff member.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                      Originally posted by 6265310 link=1299987066/9#9 date=1300096420
                      Are people generally already talking to a staff member when its mentioned, or do you mention it when you order the beverage?
                      Id be unsure of how to identify myself as well. I figured "Hi Im a coffeesnob" would just have someone roll their eyes and think Im a douche, as opposed to getting treated like royalty.

                      Would be fine if already talking about the coffee, but I saw no purpose other than that.

                      Maybe we should all just get Coffeesnobs shirts from beanbay and wear them with pride.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                        Originally posted by 425D5F455C495E5F48300 link=1299987066/10#10 date=1300096986
                        Id be unsure of how to identify myself as well. I figured "Hi Im a coffeesnob" would just have someone roll their eyes and think Im a douche, as opposed to getting treated like royalty.

                        Would be fine if already talking about the coffee, but I saw no purpose other than that.

                        Maybe we should all just get Coffeesnobs shirts from beanbay and wear them with pride.
                        Unfortunately that would be easier said than done. It is probably the only neglected (seemingly) part of the snobbery.
                        Mostly mediums and large available, not much if you need FB (F_t B_st_rd) or SM (Small Marquee)....
                        Has stayed about the same since ive been a member, unless i missed a re-stock.
                        Andys already got heaps on his plate and theres possibly other reasons for this that all contribute to it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                          What i am thinking is why should I, a CS get better treatment than a non CS? How many customers got lukewarm coffee that day? Maybe Vicroamer should have said something about the lukewarm coffee, he didnt have to identify himself as a CS.

                          As for saying something, I have made the error of telling a barista their coffee was too hot and burned my mouth. I got told to go F--k myself Fortunately, it was not a sponsor ;D

                          My other thought is why cant the Barista tell the milk is not hot enough? All it takes is to put your hand on the side of the milk jug and most decently trained Baristas should know what 60C feels like just by touch - they pour enough coffees per day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                            Originally posted by 3C2533393E3431500 link=1299987066/12#12 date=1300145701
                            As for saying something, I have made the error of telling a barista their coffee was too hot and burned my mouth. I got told to go F--k myself
                            Its NOT an error.

                            I suppose I have the advantage of looking scarey enough not to be spoken to like that.
                            Still, no excuse.
                            In that case I would have asked for the manager if the barista wasnt the manager.

                            And if they were Id have raised my voiced and made a scene.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Luke Warm Cappa

                              Lucinda,

                              I am appalled to hear that some one in a service role would say that to a client. If I heard that about one of my staff and was able to verify it actually happened, that would be grounds for instant dismissal and again, the only recourse you have is to ask for the supervisor or owner and give them your feedback.

                              Although I can also see, that at that point you would be ready to murder someone rather than give them constructive feedback in a helpful way.

                              Why should CS people be treated differently to others? Why not? You are members of a special interest group that presumably is trying to further the cause of improved quality in coffee....isnt that what your sponsors are also about? Isnt it advantageous then for all the parties to see what they can do for eachother? I cant see why any sponsors wouldnt be more than welcoming and helpful to people identifying themselves as CoffeeSnobs.....if sponsors know who you are, they know you have an extra special interest in all things coffee and equipment.

                              Wasted effort all around I think, if CS people dont get involved with their local sponsor or roasterie and would rather sit behind anonymous names complaining about coffee businesses if they dont get what they want or expect, instead of involving themselves to get what they want or expect with resulting improved services being provided to them

                              You cant get change for the better unless you get involved....I think its called taking some responsibility.

                              Regardz,
                              Attilio.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X