Importing Goods into Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Goods into Australia

Im importing some goods which are now in customs awaiting my forms before they bill me for the duty and customs.

Does anyone have experience of this and any advice?

I seem to remember that someone recommended using a customs broker as they charge quite a bit for manual applications but it costs not a lot more to get a broker to do all the work for you.

I also dont have an invoice from the supplier although I can reference the website and also my Amex so I have requested an invoice.

Thanks,
    Grant

Re: Importing Goods into Australia

Hi Grant,

Do a search for Hottop on this site, check my thread on importing the HT last year. I downloaded a bunch of forms from the Customs website, and fronted up to the Customs warehouse.

On top of the few hundred dollars in duty, they also charged about $50....for taking the manual forms over the counter!

The Customs officer had to rewrite all my forms..(20 pages +)

The only other people in the room were Customs brokers....

It might be worth getting a quote from a broker..they may save you some of your hard earned!

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Grant,

pay a Customs Clearance Agent their small fee, and let them take care of business for you. It simply is not worth the effort or time spent, for the relatively small amount they charge. They save you time and angst and act as a "buffer" between the importer and the Customs & Tax Offices.

Regardz,
      FC.

Comment

Stratford/FC:

Thanks for the replies.

I phoned a customs broker this morning and they charge $65 for the service and make it easy. As you say if you do it yourself, it costs almost as much as they charge you a manual processing fee and it is hard work.

Thanks,
        Grant

Comment

You can do an "informal clearance" where you state the value and nature of the goods, Customs calculate the duty/GST + their processing fee, you pay it online, they release the goods.

Comment

Working...
          X