Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinions on a good decaffeinated coffee

Hello All

My doctor says i should change to decaf coffee. (heart issues)
    I prefer whole bean, but after that i`m open to any and all suggestions.
    Thanks, Your Friend, LEE

Re: Need your opinions on a good decaffeinated cof

I thought coffee was good for the heart, and water was bad!

Every day new research comes out saying that its good for you then the next it bad for you. Who really know eh? Better follow docs orders tho.

I have the Decaf Ethipioan Yirg and find it ok, but as a SO it seems a bit flat and lacks punch so I tart it up a bit with small percentages (<10%) of ther regular beans for taste. I dont know what this does to the caffeine count. Unfortunately with Decaf you dont have a lot of choice so youre stuck with what is offered on the polls here and provided by regular suppliers like the guys to the left. Have a look and see whats on offer. Best bet I think is to get a few samples and try them. Taste is an individual thing.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

speeder- you prefer whole bean- by that I suppose youve been brewing arabica beans and not a regular instant drinker? Instant is often made of robusta which has twice the caffeine of arabica anyway.
      Switching from instant to whole bean will have halved your caffeine anyway- does your doctor assume when you say I have 5 coffees a day that they are instant ones?
      My friend and fellow snober "bullit" has had great success with a blend of the yirga decaf and other beans beacuse he likes to keep the caffeine down a bit too- you could PM him for enquires on how he does it and how it effects him.
      Im no doctor- but ;D hear whats happening out there as far as heart stuff is concerned- eat lots of dark chocolate, drink lots of red wine and take a long walk to the shop to get your milk for the 50/50 blend decaf arabica... :-?
      take it easy speeder

Comment

Hi Depending on where you are "Griffiths Coffee" do a fantastic decaf. Weve been told by customers that it is very good.
        LE

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy link=1152221135/0#3 date=1152620502
          Hi Depending on where you are "Griffiths Coffee" do a fantastic decaf. Weve been told by customers that it is very good.
          LE
          Look for freshly roasted and equally important to find Swiss Water Decaf- look for the mark on the packaging and if its not there, the beans have most likely encountered some nasty chemicals in their travels. I reckon the caffeine may well be less dangerous than some of the stuff used to do the job...

As a barista- if its not swiss water, it can usually be identified by nose...i.e it stinks - and thats enough to make me way suss about drinking it....

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1152221135/0#4 date=1152621156
            As a barista- if its not swiss water, it can usually be identified by nose...i.e it stinks - and thats enough to make me way suss about drinking it....
            We dont need no steenking beans! :P ;D 8-)

Java "Plugs his nose" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Rio Coffee in Adelaide do a great Organic Decaf.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR link=1152221135/0#6 date=1152759152
                Rio Coffee in Adelaide do a great Organic Decaf.
                Just dont ask them to supply any as green beans :P ;D

2mcm

Comment

www.pineteacoffee.com.au

There Decaf is quite nice...

Darker the roast, less caffeine... that is what I understand

Comment

Out of curiosity....

I picked up a bag of decaf from Atomica this afternoon. The stamp says "medium roast" but theyre the blackest and oiliest beans Ive ever seen! completely shiny surface.

Havent tried any yet (saved for weekdays), but curious about the appearance...

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1152221135/0#8 date=1153204734
                      www.pineteacoffee.com.au

There Decaf is quite nice...

Darker the roast, less caffeine... that is what I understand

Hi,

Roasting degree has nothing to do with caffeine levels. Caffeine has a boiling point of above 600 degrees Fahrenheit, far above roasting temperatures, which rarely exceed 470 dgrees. this means there is very little change to the caffeine during the roasting process. The only way to control caffeine is through green been selection or extraction times.

Plus any one who needs green swiss water processed decaf beans I can Help.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X