Getting a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a job?

Hi. How effective is actually just randomly going into cafes and just handing in your resume? I feel that its just going to annoy general managers. I really want a job as a barista, and I feel Im competent now to operate machinery etc.

Re: Getting a job?

Approach cafes you really want to work in, go in when things arent too busy and be confident and accept anything that is going. You will have to handle rejection as I hear that things are pretty tight money wise at the moment but I also hear that good staff are really hard to find. If your skills are up to the mark I think you wont struggle too hard to find any job but you may have to start at the bottom before they will let you touch the machine.

Good luck I have employed people that just come up and ask for work but they have had substance and experience behind them to back up the request.

Cheers

Brett

Comment

Ive answered this type of question before (just search).

Its possible to get a job with zero expereince (I did it).

I know of a few places looking for baristas at the moment.

Where are you pov?
      (Please update your profile)

Comment

Nothing turns a prospective employer off more than having someone ring or enter the premises looking for work during their busiest times, be smart and investigate your ;D ;D possible employer, what is their business, and how does it operate, when is it busy and adjust your actions to suit. Business owners are looking for problem solvers with the x factor and every action you take from the time you enter the doors paints a picture of your ability and understanding of the industry. Many jobs in hospitality are not advertised as great places to work often have resumes heading their way on a regular basis, find a business you like, where your skills can be an asset, and go and sell yourself...its that easy. Goodluck!!

Comment

Originally posted by 407C617A707166737B70140 link=1302761951/2#2 date=1302767058
          Ive answered this type of question before (just search).

Its possible to get a job with zero expereince (I did it).

I know of a few places looking for baristas at the moment.

Where are you pov?
          (Please update your profile)
          Yeah I remember. You helped my latte art look a lot better. I live in Adelaide, and Ive applied to four places and I havent heard back from them.

Comment

Dont waste time waiting for response get out there and bang on doors. Even working at GJs or CClub will build skills. There has gotta be jobs out there somewhere.

Like others say often best to go in in slow times but nothing wrong with casing out places in busy times.

I have talked my way into jobs and then figured out what the hell i was supposed to be doing once i started. I was not deceiving anyone its a confidence thing and the ability to back it up and use transferable skills to get the job done.

Remember, when your staring out sometimes you have to work in the trenches before your promoted to WBC ranks

Just set your goals and make them happen.

Comment

Go to your local specialty roasters and ask if any of their accounts are looking for workers. A cafe mightnt advertise a position but they will tell their roaster that they need someone. I have gotten quite a bit of work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by 716A6B6C6B6C656C716A6B6F6F67706B6C65020 link=1302761951/4#4 date=1302775896
                I live in Adelaide, and Ive applied to four places and I havent heard back from them.
                Keep your hopes up.

(The places I know of arent in SA).

Comment

Originally posted by 4975687379786F7A72791D0 link=1302761951/7#7 date=1302816142

(The places I know of arent in SA).
                  Just wondering, any places in Melbourne, TG?

Comment

Originally posted by 6F647C766A6B69606A72050 link=1302761951/8#8 date=1302830915
                    Just wondering, any places in Melbourne, TG?
                    Try DeadMan Espresso.

Comment

In my experience, a lot of the better cafes will only hire people who have had experience in hospitality. Its not just about how well you can make a coffee but how you treat guests and how you clean up afterwards.

I first went for a job at the best cafe in town and they said that I looked keen but they had other applicants with experience so they would go with them.

So I went and worked for a chain coffee store, working my way up to assistant manager of the store.

I then decided that I wanted to work in a "real" cafe so I went back to the place where I originally applied. The owner of the cafe and I always had a good relationship and we would joke about me coming to work for them.

Anyway the day I came into the store with my resume she was so excited, one of her staff was leaving and she really wanted to have me on board.

If this is the industry you want to work in, you may have to walk before you can run. But it will be worth it if it is really what you want to do.

And the things I learnt from the chain coffee store were all very important to the development of my skills.

Comment

Do you have the skills and expertise to do the job?

If so then you have to be able to convince the employer.

While jobs at places that may go for volume and profit before quality may not give great bragging rights on a forum like this they do pay bills and give experience.

When I was a bookbinder in the printing industry all the jobs I got were from cold calling.

Remember be nice to every one.

After all you don’t want your application put in the recycling file before anyone sees it.

Also you can never tell who the boss is.

When I was in business I had several people come in and be rude to me looking for the boss. (they did not get any work)

4 applications is not very many after all there may just be no vacancies at these 4 businesses

I would suggest that after 40+ applications and a few weeks you need to change strategy if you have had absolutely no response.

Comment

Originally posted by 565D5C6D5C535B405C320 link=1302761951/11#11 date=1302884251
                          Do you have the skills and expertise to do the job?

If so then you have to be able to convince the employer.

While jobs at places that may go for volume and profit before quality may not give great bragging rights on a forum like this they do pay bills and give experience.

When I was a bookbinder in the printing industry all the jobs I got were from cold calling.

Remember be nice to every one.

After all you don’t want your application put in the recycling file before anyone sees it.

Also you can never tell who the boss is.

When I was in business I had several people come in and be rude to me looking for the boss. (they did not get any work)

4 applications is not very many after all there may just be no vacancies at these 4 businesses

I would suggest that after 40+ applications and a few weeks you need to change strategy if you have had absolutely no response.

Without giving too much detail. Ive handed resumes to exactly 8 cafes. The first four advertised jobs, the more recent ones (as of yesterday) Ive handed out 4 more resumes at different cafes.

I am really perplexed to why I havent got a job, mostly due to the places I have work experience. People do comment that my shots are good, and they even order seconds. Im currently being coached by a WBC, currently studying latte art, do volunteer work (no thats not the current work experience I do). I have done two barista courses.

The places I went in today, I came with a smile and I wasnt as nervous as the places that advertised with a job. I just said "ey, is it okay if I just drop in my resume" and they either said "sure" or "Ill pass it off to the general manager". Two of the four, took what seem like a semi-interview, and those were good places to work (thanks Thundergod!)

Can you see why Im getting a little bit more desperate?

Despite my arrogance/cockiness (I believe its more of the latter), but part of the reason why I want to do this is because I want to enter latte art/barista comps by next year, and the funding for me thats coming out of my own back pocket is running out.

Comment

Could be worse... A number of years ago (about 9 or 10 I think) I was publishing my newspaper and it was being printed at a larger paper with full offset setup in town. I heard that there was a job opening. The guys in the pressroom liked my work (said I had the easiest job to print of any small papers they printed) and told me to talk to the woman in charge. The job was for doing layout for a weekly insert - right up my alley. I dropped off a resume and went back a week later to see what was up. I introduced myself, and she said that he normally never spoke to anyone without an appointment a resume, but we ended up talking for about 30 minutes, and she had copies of my paper on her desk. I was told to come by in a week for a followup.

Before I got there a U2 Spyplane crashed, landing about 5 meters from the parking place I used last visit (leaving my wife waiting in the car). The only fatality was the pilot who died when he ejected, but the building was mostly a loss, they moved the paper, merging operations with another of their paper, and that was that.

I went to drop off my resume, and the woman running

Comment

Perhaps as something a little different to just dropping off your resume perhaps try offering your services for a day as a free trial. Make the offer that on their busiest day of the week you will come in for the day and do whatever is needed (which will be more likely cleaning and clearing than using the machine but it is a start). Not many bosses will turn down the offer for free help for a day. After the day they will get to see how motivated you are and how well you may work as part of the team. Dont do more than a day for free or they will just take advantage of you.

I have had the case when working weekends going through Uni that I wanted to swap jobs to a new store that had recently opened (and had already done all of their hiring). I had been speaking to the owner but not really getting anywhere. In the end I just said to him how about I come in and work Saturday for you and we will see how it goes. At the end of the day he came up to me and asked me to come back on the Sunday .... I worked 3 1/2 days a week for the next few years until I finished Uni ..... And I think I got paid for the trial Saturday.

Good luck with it. Anybody can drop off a resume .... What different approach can you make to stand out?

Stinky

Comment

Working...
                              X