Cafe Service ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe Service ?

I met a mate at a café for a coffee last week,…as it was nice day we decided to sit at a table outside. I went inside and ordered the two coffee’s, it was quite busy so i took a seat again while I was waiting. About 5 or so minutes later the waitress who served me walked out from behind the counter…. walked through the café and outside to our table and said.. “your two coffee’s are ready for you on the counter”,.. she then turned walked back inside and disappeared again.????? We just both looked at each other in total amazement and laughed.

Now I don’t visit café’s very often so I would just like to know if im out of touch with things and this is the “norm ” café service these days,…or maybe I’m just being old fashioned by thinking something STUPID like,. if she’s coming out to our Table …then BRING the coffee’s with her???....or maybe there might be some new OH&S rule’s that I don’t know about that prevents waitresses from carrying anything hot :-/????

Re: Cafe Service ?

Did you have to wash your cups when youd finished?
    ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5955545B5414555848535F543A0 link=1305273440/1#1 date=1305273665
      Did you have to wash your cups when youd finished?
      ;D
      That would depend on if you took them home

if you will return is your choice.

was the coffee good

Comment

Sounds odd. I think the standard is still:

Porcelin - we will bring it out.
        Take away cups - Listen for your order and Get it yourself.

Any variation should be stipulated at the counter. I would not want any of my customers to have to carry their own brews, unless they really want to or are having a quick stand up and skoll.

Comment

the cafe I work at the simple rule is:

If the customer is bum in seat, its brought to them - regardless of procelain or TA

If they are standing on the other side of the Wega, they get it handed over with a cheesy grin by moi

Comment

Originally posted by 565D5C6D5C535B405C320 link=1305273440/2#2 date=1305278656
            was the coffee good 
            ....about as good as their service :

Comment

Fairly easy decision to not return Im sure

Comment

It varies so much in Adelaide. Quite a few places have those buzzy number systems where the little electric doohickey buzzes when your coffee is ready. Others have the yell out the name when its ready. And some still have the bring it out to your table when its done. Theres even a couple where you get waiter service and pay after drinking the coffee. (Im always terrified of forgetting and walking out as most places do the pay before we feed you system!)

The "come out and tell you its available to collect" is a peculiar variant I havent yet come across!

Comment

Probably has a small obscure sign somewhere saying you pay at the counter and take your own coffee to the table, they only bring food if it has to be made up, we have a few of these places in Sydney.

Comment

Did you pay when you ordered?

Did you order take away?

Seems like a strange system :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 7E786F647E7961630A0 link=1305273440/9#9 date=1305613092
                      Did you pay when you ordered?
                      ....Yes
                      Did you order take away?
                      ....No
                      Seems like a strange system 
                      ....Yes...very! :-?

Comment

At seven seeds (melb) you just find a seat and they will come to you for your order and tell you you could pay later at the counter and of course they will bring the coffee and even serve cups+water if youre planning to stay a while longer after your coffee !!

Comment

That still seems really strange that the waitress made an effort to come and tell you that the drinks were ready and left them behind... :-?

At Grind in Cronulla, it is too small a shop to stand near the coffee machine to wait for your takeaway, so you stand out on the pavement outside. They have a waitress who brings them out and calls out the names on the cups. A good system that seems to work well and keep the place flowing...

Comment

All individual situations run by indiviuals!

However I do agree with Scoota....why would you bother going out to tell someone to come back in and get it except if they are worried other clients will see and demand table service where it is not normally offered ??????

A.

Comment

It sounds like the horrible Melbourne institution for good coffee in Carlton that everyone raves about for some reason. I think service is different from state to state. But the whole industry should really look at picking up its game. Because I seem to be finding a lot of cafe around town just having a lot more off days and there are a lot more bartisas with attitudes out there

Comment

Working...
                              X