Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Black hot water question

Hi there
    I have been pouring a few decent long blacks on my Gaggia Classic. Im wondering the best way to add hot water first, then add the espresso shots. I am currently grinding beans, put cup under brew head and run hot water. It works fine but I get little bits of coffee beans in the water (even after running brew head for 20 seconds). If I take the hot water from the tap, its too cold for me, if I take it from the kettle, it might burn the coffee mightnt it?
    Your thoughts would be mucho appreciated.
    Anthony

Re: Long Black hot water question

On a commercial machine with a hot water spout I pour about 4 oz into a cup then grind/dose/tamp. The theory is that then the cup will have dropped the temp of the water down below the point where the coffee will burn on contact. Then pour the shot.

So with the Gaggia boil the kettle leave it for a touch before pouring into the cup then prep your shot and pour.

Rough guide anyway 

Comment

Originally posted by 2F282C232B213424232A4D0 link=1310521849/1#1 date=1310522315
      So with the Gaggia boil the kettle leave it for a touch before pouring into the cup then prep your shot and pour.
      This works well for me too. No matter what machine is living with me at the time... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

you could always put the portafilter in without grinds, then pull the water, then add grinds and your shot, but youll likely drop the machine down below brew temp, so a kettle is probably best.

Comment

On the classic you can get water from the boiler.

If you press the brew switch and the steam switch at the same time, while opening the steam valve - you will get clean hot water from the boiler through the steam arm.  Easy.

Personally I like only a little water (maybe 60ml) and to let my water cool for a few minutes so I can drink it straight away. No point watching your crema dissipate while while you wait untill the temp is drinkable.

Comment

Thanks people, will try the kettle and steam arm.
            Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X