Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barista/Espresso courses in North Qld???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barista/Espresso courses in North Qld???

Howdy

Am very new to CS and have loved spending hours & hours absorbed in all the information on this site - I love it. Our bank balance is going to get a big nudge from all my research as Im now wanting to buy a new machine & grinder - the ones I have just no longer cut it.

My question is - does anyone now of anywhere in North Queensland (I live in Port Douglas - an hour north of Cairns) that has a good Barista Course. Based on the recommendations from many on this site Im not worried about a certificate at the end but rather where I will great knowledge from experience.

Looks like I may have to pack my bags for a few days and head down to Melbourne to The Espresso School if I have no luck finding one in NQ.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Barista/Espresso courses in North Qld???

Hi PD, TAFE Colleges usually have a Barista course that will provide the keen beginner with the opportunity to get some basics.  I did one myself and because I had done a bit of reading and generally prepared myself for it, I found it very valuable.  Mine was about 12 hours spread over several evenings. IMHO you need to do a bit of reading so that you have a grasp of the background issues so you can just enjoy working on the machine.  Im not suggesting this will make you a Barista but it should give you a good idea of what further training or experience you need to acquire.  Try the link below.
    http://www.tnqit.tafe.qld.gov.au/pro...081&crsid=1605

Comment

Thanks Rocky - good to know you have done a similar Tafe course and found it a great start. I did find this course but wondered how good it would be based on the comments of other CS and these types of courses.

Thanks again!

Comment

If you really want to learn go to Origin Espresso in Grant st and ask the owners about the personal barista training they offer.

Comment

I live in Townsville.
          As far as I know, the local coffee roaster - Coffee Dominion has some barista and other cupping, blending, roasting course.
          I have a friend took the barista one but its only 4 hours approximately.
          I went to a coffee shop at Ingham which advertise the certificate from Coffee Dominion.
          So I assume they also offer a proper bastista training not like the experiencing one my friend have.

However, I used to drink the coffee dominion very often, I start to tell their coffee not consistently lately.
          Well~~ maybe its the faulty of my palate. But you can contact with them then tell us what happen.

Colin

Comment

I live in Port Douglas at the moment too. Either:
            -do a course in Cairns
            -Ask for a day or 2 a week at Origin Espresso, I go there for a coffee every day and Glen Im sure would be happy to teach you a thing or two. (Although its the wrong time if year with the wet season just about arriving).

Comment

Hi Port Girl...

its glen the owner of origin here......i can do barista training...come and have a chat to me about it.
              The wet season is the perfect time.......as we have plenty of it!

Comment

Working...
              X