Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to be a barista?

Hi,
    Firstly, Im sorry if somebody already posted this subject before. I did a search and I couldnt find it.

Ok, here we go.
    I want to be a barista not just for a good money but also I want to open a coffee business in the future because I love coffee and I have a beautiful concept of a coffee shop.

But the problem is I only experienced the coffee making at home with my Sunbeam EM6910. In the other word, I need experience for a commercial barista.

The thing is all the vacancies are for experienced barista. Now, how can I have experience if everybody looking for the experienced one?

I took barista courses. Latte art courses, been practising at home. I also have TAFE cert for a barista.

Now I have one question for you guys, who I believe have more experience than me as a barista, what is the quickest way or the easiest way to become a barista? for example, do I have to be a wait person or allrounder first or you have better suggestion for me?

Thanks a lot guys...

Re: What is the best way to be a barista?

Easiest way to become a Barista? Get a job at a Cafe, Dont wait for posted "help wanted" posters, DoorKnock/Cold-canvass, Let them know youre out there, that youre passionate about coffee, and that youre eager to learn more.

A Couple of the jobs Ive gotten in the past were a case of "I didnt realise I needed someone, but this persons given me the idea that I need one, Perhaps I might give them a try".

Comment

Laughing@Fate gives good advice, Ive always had great success just going into every cafe in the area I wanted to work with a resume and asking to speak to the manager. Its best not to go in during really busy times though so try and avoid the morning and lunch rushs. Try around 11am or after 2pm.

The fact youre keen and have taken the initiative to get some training will definitely work in your favour. Also, dont forget to try suburban cafes as well as the ones in the cbd as they often find it harder to get good staff.

Comment

thanks for giving me good advice my friends..
        I definitely will try your advice..

Comment

Yep, LaughingFate has it. Dont wait for the job to be advertised, chase it.

If all else fails and you just absolutely cannot find a job, ask if you can do some unpaid work/observe from behind the counter on a weekend to pick up some skills. From here you will either get your experience for somewhere else, or theyll offer you a job!

Tangent - When I got my first barista job, I saw a help wanted sign out the front (for experienced baristas only, of which I was not) of a local café, went in, grabbed a seat and scoped the place out for 5 minutes. Worked out which one was the manager, ordered a ristretto once she got behind the machine, got chatting to her about coffee and I left with the job.

Its as much about being a welcoming, approachable and easy-going person as it is about your experience. Skills can be learnt, and as long as youre not being thrown into a 7kgs+ a day situation - youll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 292530303D2032440 link=1316510825/4#4 date=1316599500
            Yep, LaughingFate has it. Dont wait for the job to be advertised, chase it.

If all else fails and you just absolutely cannot find a job, ask if you can do some unpaid work/observe from behind the counter on a weekend to pick up some skills. From here you will either get your experience for somewhere else, or theyll offer you a job!

Tangent - When I got my first barista job, I saw a help wanted sign out the front (for experienced baristas only, of which I was not) of a local café, went in, grabbed a seat and scoped the place out for 5 minutes. Worked out which one was the manager, ordered a ristretto once she got behind the machine, got chatting to her about coffee and I left with the job.

Its as much about being a welcoming, approachable and easy-going person as it is about your experience. Skills can be learnt, and as long as youre not being thrown into a 7kgs+ a day situation - youll be fine.
            Thanks mate...you got some good points there...cheers

Comment

Also try approaching some of the chain stores as experience is not always necessary as training is provided

And once youre employed even with a chain store - then youre an asset to another employer as you already have experience !

Acg

Comment

Originally posted by 65776F706C61676B6262616163717D040 link=1316510825/6#6 date=1316692295
                Also try approaching some of the chain stores as experience is not always necessary as training is provided

And once youre employed even with a chain store - then youre an asset to another employer as you already have experience !

Acg
                I was thinking about that too but most of the chain stores intend to hire young ones...

Comment

Sorry... I didnt realize you were 97 !

Personally I tend to avoid buying coffee from a youngi one unless it is obvious that they know what theyre doing - I guess same applies to old ones but old ones like me are more likely to attract an older demographic - which can be a plus for a business

Comment

I think its a business matter...
                    The only reason they hire the young kids is because they are cheapies

Comment

I know how difficult it is, I was in exactly the same situation when I was out job hunting for barista experience. I tried independent & chain cafes, but no one would hire me purely based on my lack of experience. Like you I had TAFE Cert and what not.

And as others have mentioned, chase the job, dont wait for a position to pop up. As youve yet to gain any experience, perhaps taking up a position in a cafe doing other work (i.e. - floor staff or something similar) and showing your passion for coffee and progressing onto barista work could be a path, thats what happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 426F6F734C6565000 link=1316510825/10#10 date=1317028449
                        I know how difficult it is, I was in exactly the same situation when I was out job hunting for barista experience. I tried independent & chain cafes, but no one would hire me purely based on my lack of experience. Like you I had TAFE Cert and what not.

And as others have mentioned, chase the job, dont wait for a position to pop up. As youve yet to gain any experience, perhaps taking up a position in a cafe doing other work (i.e. - floor staff or something similar) and showing your passion for coffee and progressing onto barista work could be a path, thats what happened to me.
                        How long youve been in your job mate?
                        I thought most of existing baristas dont like competitor...

Comment

Yep all good advice there If you can afford it, go to a cafe, where you think you can learn the most and offer up your services for free. If they like what they see then work something out with them

Comment

This might be a bit cheeky but you could claim you have experience as a barista. After they employ you and realise how good a barista you are, you can tell them your "experience" is TAFE and barista courses.

Comment

Originally posted by 78575E4C4A4E080C390 link=1316510825/13#13 date=1322441276
                              This might be a bit cheeky but you could claim you have experience as a barista. After they employ you and realise how good a barista you are, you can tell them your "experience" is TAFE and barista courses.
                              Hmm...If I was to find out that an employee started a job with a lie, both trust and tenure would be severely compromised.

Comment

Working...
                              X