Lachlans Tip of the Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lachlans Tip of the Week

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Coffee Loving Pets of All Breeds...

May I present to you, speaking as a highly underqualified coffee snob.....

My tip of the week for great coffee.....

"Relax!"

In the last week or two, Ive been really stressed because I have to move house this coming weekend. Work has been crazy and in general my nerves have just been a little more frayed that normal.

During my work days (work from home) Id made a few less than impressive coffees. Sour, Bitter, Cold, Bad 80s Afro Milk Froth and wondered to myself why my seemingly consistent technique was failing me.

I realised that because Id been feeling so stressed or busy or whatever that each time Id be making coffee it was this rushed "have to get back to what I was doing" exercise.

This led to me unconsciously doing things like:

* Forgetting to run a blank shot through to make sure the basket and portafilter were nice and temped
    * Rushing my tamps leading to channelling and inconsistent extraction
    * Using too much steam pressure which caused the milk temp to sky rocket before I had a chance to stretch it properly or just ending up with big ugly bubbles.
    * Not pre-warming my glass giving a luke warm at best result

So today when I went downstairs for coffee I told myself not to rush and to just relax.

I pulled a nice single basket with no channelling and a nice firm dry puck result. The shot tasted extremely well balanced though maybe a *little* sour to start, but much better than average. It did run a little longer than Id have liked (34seconds or so). So I tweaked the grind a little coarser for next time. The milk texture was great and i got the whole whirlpool thing happening with some decent microfoam. If I had a clue how to do latte art I might have been able to do something with it.. LOL..

All in all a very nice coffee!

So if you are getting a bit frustrated with with your coffees.. just remember to breathe, relax and chill out, because in some granola-eating hippie kinda way your stress will come through in your coffee.

... and lets face it.. who wants to sip on a nice hot cup of stress? ;-)

cheers
    Lachlan

Re: Lachlans Tip of the Week

Well done Lachlan!

Originally posted by Lachlan link=1152668429/0#0 date=1152668429
    However, I think you mean SUBconsciously If you could do those things when youre unconscious, Id be very impressed ;D

LG

Comment

Originally posted by liquid gold link=1152668429/0#1 date=1152675829
      Well done Lachlan!
      Originally posted by Lachlan link=1152668429/0#0 date=1152668429
      However, I think you mean SUBconsciously   If you could do those things when youre unconscious, Id be very impressed ;D
      LG
      Well he did say that he was relaxed ;D

Comment

Well done Lachlan!

If you could do those things when youre unconscious, Id be very impressed ;D

LG
        I would be amazed

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1152668429/0#3 date=1152701627
          Well done Lachlan!

If you could do those things when youre unconscious, Id be very impressed ;D

LG
          I would be amazed
          I think that would qualify them as being a true Coffee Snob if youre able to pull a shot while unconscious. ;D

Java "Unconscious until that first cup of the day" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
          X