Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to upgrade or not.

Hi all, newbie here.
    have been reading these posts for a little while now and need some advice from you experts.
    I have a Sunbeam EM4800C and have been thinking of upgrading to the EM6910. Can anyone tell me if its worth it if so why?
    I upgraded the baskets on my old 4800 to the single floor and found an immediate improvement in my results but they are not consistent. Sometimes the machine is struggling to push the water through the basket when I tamp it down to the correct pressure.
    Any advice greatly appreciated. :-/

Re: to upgrade or not.

there are a lot of factors to consider here - but the first one id want to ask you is "what sort of grinder are you using?"

this is the first step to good, consistent results

Comment

There are a lot of variables.  The grinder is the main consideration.  However the 6910 is a good starting point as I had the 4800 then bought the 6910 which I had a for a couple of years.  I started with the sunbeam grinder the best one they make cant remember the number.  It was OK but once I bought the 6910 I upgraded the grinder to a Mazzer Mini and the shots were excellent.   Then I graduated to a HX machine. 

The 6910 produces excellent results for a while but do read the threads about it in 500-1500 machine category to make yourself familiar with the issues that can occur.  There are also some viable alternatives to the 6910 that are covered at length in that section.

Good luck and remember upgraditis is a disease that all CoffeSnobs suffer from  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2C22223C6B322A2B22450 link=1318836685/1#1 date=1318837007
        there are a lot of factors to consider here - but the first one id want to ask you is "what sort of grinder are you using?" 

this is the first step to good, consistent results
        I am using a new Sunbeam EMO480

Comment

I pushed my borrowed Sunbeam EM3800 (literally) to bursting. Blew the group seal apart when I choked it on too fine a grind.

Yes, the single-wall filters help. Having a decent grinder and fresh coffee is way more important however.

Before we make any more recommendations tho, its important to know what sort of coffees you make?

To my mind the EM6910 is overpriced - but it has its place and a lot of people love theirs. I think if you were going to be doing a fair bit of milk-making in one stretch then its probably a decent choice in the price range.

Comment

Hi Stan,
            what did you mean by the EM6910 produces excellent results for a "while"?
            Hi Kelsey,
            Overpriced for under $600! I dont really want to pay over $1000 for one, all the ones I have seen in the shop from $1500 to $2500 are all automatic machines which is not what i really want, and there doesnt seem to be many machines in the shop between $600-$1500 range. For one thing too many things to go wrong. Milk making I generally make 2 cups of chino at a time probably 3 maybe 4 times a day.
            otherwise what machine would you recommend.
            The only difference I can see between the 4800 and 6910 is one has the twin thermoblock and a larger group head. The larger group head would probably be a benefit as I dont seem to get a strong enough brew with the smaller one. Correct me if I am wrong but having a larger basket ie more coffee I will get a stronger shot?

Comment

I currently have the EM6910 and the Breville Smart Grinder and Im getting some fantastic coffee (and the occasional not so good coffee). I previously had the EM4800 and it was a HUGE step up in my mind - the coffee I was producing from the EM6910 was a lot better and more consistent.

Sailor - with regards to the stronger shot, Id hazard a guess at yes because youll fit more coffee in the 58mm basket than the 51mm. Ive also used an EM0480 with the EM6910 before and found it to be ok, its just a lot easier with the BSG.

I know a lot of people ho hum at thermoblock machines on this forum and I too one day want to upgrade to a boiler/HX machine, but one feature I love of the EM6910 is the quick warm up time.

Im obviously biased but I think its a good step up from an EM4800

Whereabouts are you located Sailor?

Comment

Originally posted by 15202F262E410 link=1318836685/6#6 date=1318894136
                one feature I love of the EM6910 is the quick warm up time. 
                Dont be fooled by the "ready" light.
                Your coffee should taste better if you let the 6910 warm up for at least 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by 0935283339382F3A32395D0 link=1318836685/7#7 date=1318896530
                  Your coffee should taste better if you let the 6910 warm up for at least 30 minutes
                  Indeed - I forgot to mention that! I normally let it warm up when Im not in a rush!

Comment

Originally posted by 5341494C4F52200 link=1318836685/5#5 date=1318893010
                    Overpriced for under $600!
                    Kelsey might be thinking overpriced at full RRP.

Originally posted by 5341494C4F52200 link=1318836685/5#5 date=1318893010
                    all the ones I have seen in the shop from $1500 to $2500 are all automatic machines which is not what i really want, and there doesnt seem to be many machines in the shop between $600-$1500 range
                    you need to get out of department/appliance stores. Look at CS sponsors web pages (where are you located?). The two most popular single boilers on CS, Silvia and Lelit, are considered great entry level coffee making, and are at the bottom end of the $600 -$1500 range. Silvia is just about the most popular machine across the globe - but you wont find her in department stores in Aust

Comment

I meant that while mine was working properly O got good coffee. However the problems after the two year mark kept coming. However the newer machines from Sunbeam have modifications mine did not so they may be more reliable.

Comment

Thats correct - at full price, theyre overpriced for my needs.

For you - could be a different story. Even at $600, for me Id rather have a Lelit (or a used Silvia from here) - I guess the problems with my own, plus the issues I see from others on the forum quite regularly, have left me with an overall negative impression of the machine that may not be deserved.

But my needs Are different, so the Silvia/Lelit/Bezzera BZ09 suit me best.

Comment

Hi Tango I am on the sunshine coast, Buderim.
                          Yes I have looked at the Silvia but from what I have read it is not good for expanding milk for more than 2 cups. then it overheats which would be a bugbear if there are guests and I want to make 4 cups of cuppa chino. What would one pay for a used Silvia or Bezzera BZ09

Comment

Unless Barazi (located near your neck of the woods) have some demonstrators left I doubt youll find a BZ09 (they were going for nearly $900, I think) - I dont think theyre imported anymore.

Ebay and this site (hardware for sale) sell used Silvia by the truckload. $600 or a bit less for an as new machine. They last and last so depreciate slowly. Many people who buy second hand end up selling 2 years later (upgraditis) for almost the price they bought it.

Dont buy second hand machines unseen unless youre really confident in the seller.

Comment

Hi Sailor, Im in Caloundra - howdy neighbor!

The single-boilers may not be for you, the milky coffee conundrum is a big one for those who have frequent guests.

Its not a matter of overheating tho - the boiler that heats the water also makes the steam. Once youve textured a certain volume of milk, the boiler runs dry and needs to be primed - I.e. have water added back in. This is done simply by running water through the grouphead (or brew head, as Sunbeam likes to say).

So when I have guests I texture the milk first, then make pull the shots, two at a time. This has the advantage of priming the boiler, although you can get the odd colder shot when doing this.

Ive found that the boiler takes about one minute to finish heating before the light goes off, then I need to wait about 20 seconds or so before its actually hot enough to pull the shot.

This might get old if I had to make a half a dozen milky coffees at once, day in, day out - but thats not our use-case.

Instead I make two coffees at a time, perhaps three times a day. Once a week I might make four-to-six coffees at once. For these purposes, my machine is ideal because I can live with the extra couple of minutes I need to wait to make those last two coffees and my method utilizes a lot of that wasted time anyway.

So the Sunbeam may be the prefect machine for you - its not for me and Im dubious about its longevity.

I got my BZ09 for well under $900, but the extra 40% boiler size, heating elements in the group and general build quality made it worth paying the extra.

BTW theres a non sponsor in Maroochydore (that industrial area on the way out to Nambour) that stocks Silvia. You could have a look at one there. Dont know if theyll demo one for you tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X