Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make a long black?

Hi

Just wondering how a long black is constituted? Is it not formed using an espresso shot? Cant find this on the web anywhere.. Also, is there no standard for a 50/50 espresso/milk combination? Im really enjoying this mix at home.

Re: How do you make a long black?

Im not a long black drinker and I dont make them for a living, but Im fairly sure they are a single or double shot of espresso poured onto a designated amount of hot water. Not sure of the preferred water ratios.
    Ive heard of cafes serving an espresso and a small jug of hot water on the side as a long black.

Comment

I serve it how Chris taught me, doppio espresso on water.
      I add a touch of cold water to the hot to not burn the espresso...might be wrong?

I think Icoco serve it with water on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by takeaim link=1153804706/0#2 date=1153814282
        I add a touch of cold water to the hot to not burn the espresso...might be wrong?

I think Icoco serve it with water on the side.
        Hey thanks for the plug Andreas. The lungo sounds great to me . How goes the coffee? I must pop in soon...

Chris

Comment

Hi
          i always make them with a double ristretto over hot water.

LE

Comment

Thanks guys, I shall have to give it a try.. Do you pull the shot straight into the water? And just off boiling is okay? Will experiment and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by takeaim link=1153804706/0#2 date=1153814282
              Thats how I do it - Chad Moss (SA state champion barista a couple of years ago) taught me. A dash of cold water is necessary if the cups or the water are too hot. I get a feel after Ive added the hot water - watch for the amount of steam. If the water is too hot, the espresso will burn as its added to the water.

Comment

Working...
              X