Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazelnut coffee

Hi all,

I wasnt sure if this should go in grinders or this section as Im not quite sure where I am going wrong.

Do you need a specific grinder to make Hazelnut coffee or is it the ratio of hazelnuts to coffee beans that makes the difference?

Ive tried a couple of different ratios of hazelnuts and coffee beans and all I get is a paste not unlike caffeinated peanut butter. It takes some time to clean the grinder so I thought I would save time by asking how everyone else does it.

I am currently using a K3 WBC, would a doserless grinder or a larger grinder make a difference, or is it purely a ratio of beans to nuts thing?

I am assuming I need to "up" dose as the hazelnuts displace some of the coffee in the basket, yeah?

Ta in advance 8-)

Re: Hazelnut coffee

Are you serious?

Did you really put hazelnuts through your Compak?

Comment

Youre Serious about putting Hazelnuts through your coffee grinder?  Oh dear lords...

I wouldnt put Hazelnuts through a coffee grinder, They have way too much moisture to really work all that well with a burr grinder

using a smashy-wirly-blade-of-doom type grinder is a better option...

Or a Mortar and Pestle...

Using a coffee grinder only causes... Problems.  :-X

Comment

+1. I wouldnt use your best grinder to make a hazlenut flavour. Perhaps buy a cheap second hand one first and use that one so that your daily cup can remain top quality.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D60746669686F66407547607564010 link=1322010691/2#2 date=1322012554
          I wouldnt put Hazelnuts through a coffee grinder, They have way too much moisture to really work all that well with a burr grinder
          Would conical burrs be better of flat burrs? Id like to grind them together because once I get the quantities right then I can roast them together as well.

Comment

You do realise its not 1st April?

Comment

Trenski, i suggest you also add Tea leaves to the mix to make use of the energy you are consuming to perform the roast.

These could later be removed delicately by hand post roast ready for brewing.

You never know, as a bonus the tea may take on a lovely coffee flavour!

Comment

There could be merit to that timmyb, Ill have to get some tea leaves before they have been cut up or else it will be too hard to separate them from the chaff.

I wonder if I could dry some Bay leaves from the tree outside at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by 0031263F3E39323F29500 link=1322010691/1#1 date=1322011836
                  Are you serious?

Did you really put hazelnuts through your Compak?

You would think I had learnt, back in 2007 I had a similar problem I posted about on CoffeeGeek, heres a snippet

on the radio comes an advertisement for a certain cafe within a fast food restuarant, sounds really nice, playground for the kids, range of beverages including one I hadnt heard of before....

A Banana and Toffee flavoured coffee, a banoffee coffee (my name, might have to trademark it later).

So I got some bananas and some toffee. Put the toffee in the cup so the espresso would melt it and poured my shot, it was very slow and really clogged my machine even though I had ground it quite course.

I went to make another shot and this is where I ran into trouble and need some advice.

How do I clean the banana out of the grinder?

Comment

Flavored coffees are made with liquid extracts that are sprayed on/added to the beans post roasting.

Java "Not in my grinder thanks!" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Trentski, you must be bored, but you did get some bites :

Comment

Originally posted by 153E293E2F3736333A5F0 link=1322010691/9#9 date=1322023925
                        Flavored coffees are made with liquid extracts that are sprayed on/added to the beans post roasting.

Java "Not in my grinder thanks!" phile

Thanks JP but Im after something more authentic.

I had to give up on the banoffee after we had a couple of cyclones and the banana price went through the roof, so nut flavoured coffee it was.

I wont even start talking about the Irish Moss flavoured coffee surely someone was taking the piss when they made that up

Comment

Originally posted by 6E687F746E6971731A0 link=1322010691/11#11 date=1322027152
                          Thanks JP but Im after something more authentic.
                          You could always go to Hawaii and get some of the Kona with Macadamia nuts coffee they sell to the tourists there. It has actual Macadamia nuts in with the beans.
                          ;D

Java "Pass!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I believe that flavoured coffee is for those who dont like the taste of coffee. Also it is a way of using up poor quality and stale coffee.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 1F3C2F2F24021928333E3C335D0 link=1322010691/13#13 date=1322084195
                              I believe that flavoured coffee is for those who dont like the taste of coffee.

You could say that about any beverage. I believe orange juice is for those who dont like the taste of coffee :

Its the old saying "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Comment

Working...
                              X