Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inconsistant shots using different beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistant shots using different beans?

I wonder if anyone on here can tell me why I get different shots with different beans. I generally use 2 different beans for my coffee, but I find that I need a finer grind for one than the other. Is it because one has more oil or is one stale etc. PS I use the same tamping pressure on both.
    I find if I use the same grind setting on both one will take approx. 30 seconds and the other about 15 seconds??? :-[

Re: Inconsistant shots using different beans?

Originally posted by 2F3D3530332E5C0 link=1322716171/0#0 date=1322716171
    I wonder if anyone on here can tell me why I get different shots with different beans. I generally use 2 different beans for my coffee, but I find that I need a finer grind for one than the other. Is it because one has more oil or is one stale etc. PS I use the same tamping pressure on both.
    I find if I use the same grind setting on both one will take approx. 30 seconds and the other about 15 seconds??? :-[
    Gday Sailor. Yes- all of the above can have an influence. You can add temperature, humidity and whether your tongue is pointing left or right to your list (and probably a host of other things) as well

Chris

Comment

Every bean is different. After they have been roasted I find I am adjusting the grind about 3 times for each bean as it ages. It normally takes me about 7 days to go through 500g of roasted beans so about every 2 days I find I need to adjust the grind. As Chris stated humidity, type of bean, temerature all affect the grind

Comment

Something I can think of is the density of the bean among other things.

Comment

each bean has its own unique grind point which if not different from any other then at least requires constant attention - and even the same bean can vary 20 or more times during the space of a day

and as a general rule the more a bean ages the more it gushes so a wider grind for newer beans and a finer grind setting as the bean ages is the order of the day...

Comment

Working...
          X