Green coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green coffee

My housemate and I were discussing coffee last night, and the very simple question arose (or perhaps several questions): can you drink green coffee, and what would it taste like?

Perhaps a silly question :-?, but one that we couldnt come to a decent conclusion about. So, what would it taste like, is it bad for you, can you, why, why not?

Not that I want to drink green coffee. Im just curious is all. Mind you, if I was that curious I could go and brew some green coffee and see what happens...but I think its better left unresearched on my behalf!

Ben

Re: Green coffee

Originally posted by bennyc link=1155100700/0#0 date=1155100699
    My housemate and I were discussing coffee last night, and the very simple question arose (or perhaps several questions): can you drink green coffee, and what would it taste like?
    Probably, and most likely terrible! :P

Mind you, if I was that curious I could go and brew some green coffee and see what happens...
    Most likely youd end up with a very unhappy grinder!

Java "Will stick to roasted coffee" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

well it wasnt after dinner coffees drunk at Bens place last night, thats for sure !

Comment

Ive read a bit on coffee and historically they have drunk the stuff green (unroasted). As humans we like stuff that has roasted/char flavours, they are full of amines (taste/food chemicals). I guess its like aged meats, charring at high heat gives flavour as opposed to a boiled steak.

On taste I guess it would taste "herby" as it smells like grass when roasting at the begining. Drinkable, sure why not.... Tasty, who knows ???

Maybe someone will be game give it a try to let us know.

An interesting thing is that if you were to boil it up you would be getting many of the chemicals out of the coffee and into the water including the caffine so you would get the historically significant "buzz"... (this is how they make decaf... run water through it basically). The buzz (psychoactivating) property is a major reason why coffee has such historical importance, so green coffee would fulfil its requirement of the effect.

Comment

Working...
        X