Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of the retail roasted coffee beans are worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of the retail roasted coffee beans are worthwhile?

Hi All been using my HX machine for a couple of years now and love it. Started blending my own coffee from some commercially available that seemed OK but needed something extra. If you know what I mean?

The question is having tried a few of the standard beans available I was wondering what your favourites are, where you buy it, cost and what it tastes like.

I have been enjoying a blend of 50% blue mountains house blend, 25% of barrista expresso from our local deli and 25% grandfather blend also from local deli. It makes a rich coffee with good crema a bit of a bite at the end which we enjoy. We drink coffee with milk/soy.

Re: Which of the retail roasted coffee beans are worthwhile?

Andys roasted sample pack is a good place to start

Comment

Talk Coffees Urban Blend is an absolute belter. Chris really knows his stuff!

Comment

Aww shucks Rick. Thanks so much for your kind words.

Great beans in, a little respect, terrific roaster (thanks to Mark), consistency via Andys multimeter and roastmonitor software and we generally get good stuff out.

If ever I dont like em, I bin them

Comment

Let me know when next that happens, Ill be round to the Shed with a couple of glad bags and a scoop ;D

Comment

Hi Guys will try Talk Coffee. BTW which blend apart from Urban do any of you use?

I did take Andys advice and looked at the site sponsors but having gone through 6 of them and only found machines etc I gave up.

Anybody using anything available elsewhere?

Comment

Where do you live Ardy? someone might have a suggestion local to you.

I have always enjoyed the beans I have got from Di Bella.

Comment

Originally posted by 7340564B320 link=1326775139/5#5 date=1326837899
                I did take Andys advice and looked at the site sponsors but having gone through 6 of them and only found machines etc I gave up.
                Ive tried Andys own beanbay, Supreme Roasters, Cuppacoffee, Di Bartoli, and Pioneer roastery (changed roaster a couple of years ago and no longer a sponsor ) Theres also Cosmorex, Di Bella, and Roastmax Roasters (possibly even more). I dont remember the specifics of each, but they were freshly roasted (the main thing!). In general I find the single origins a bit lacking for an espresso, but house blends, espresso blends, etc are a good place to start.

I usually only buy 500g at a time, which is not the most economical but its all I can use in a few weeks.

Store it in a sealable bag, and dont keep leftovers in the hopper.

Comment

iaindb - thanks will look at them. I agree that a single origin doesnt often do it for me. I tried a single origin Columbian and got all excited but the next batch was very poor.

As I am mean and cheap (I rarely pay more than $25kg) but I do buy good coffee from our local roaster in the Blue Mountains and he has been excellent but it is still a way to go from my place in the Hawkesbury. I have tried a few supermarket brands including Lavazza, free trade etc but I have not found one I like. My post is really about expanding my coffee experiences which I am sure we all try to do?

Ive tried Andys own beanbay, Supreme Roasters, Cuppacoffee, Di Bartoli, and Pioneer roastery (changed roaster a couple of years ago and no longer a sponsor )  Theres also Cosmorex, Di Bella, and Roastmax Roasters (possibly even more).  I dont remember the specifics of each, but they were freshly roasted (the main thing!).  In general I find the single origins a bit lacking for an espresso, but house blends, espresso blends, etc are a good place to start.

I usually only buy 500g at a time, which is not the most economical but its all I can use in a few weeks.

Store it in a sealable bag, and dont keep leftovers in the hopper.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D7E68750C0 link=1326775139/8#8 date=1326860643
                    I tried a single origin Columbian and got all excited but the next batch was very poor.
                    Sounds like inconsistencies with the roaster. All the sponsors Ive tried will through out a bad batch rather than sell it, which is probably why you pay $30kg and up.

I have tried a few supermarket brands ... but I have not found one I like
                    I havent found a supermarket brand yet that is fresh. Unfortunately, toss the supermarket brands in the bin, in my opinion. Nothing beats well-stored, well-roasted, fresh (no more than 3-4 weeks old) roasted, fresh (no more than a few minutes) ground beans. You may occasionally hit a good batch, but I dont have time to tell when the problem with my coffee is a bad batch, or bad technique, so I cut out the bad batches from the start by ordering from good roasters.

To overcome price and travel, have you tried roasting your own?

My post is really about expanding my coffee experiences which I am sure we all try to do?
                    Absolutely. And a wild ride it is

Comment

Have you tried the Guatemalan Showcase Single Origin available from www.mydibellacoffee.com?

Comment

not me, sorry! How about ringing them? Ive spoken to a couple of roasters before when selecting beans for work, and they are more than happy to tell me all about profiles, tastes, resting periods, etc. They will certainly know more than me Explain what you want to use it for, what you want (acidity, full bodied, etc), and they can probably recommend something good. Like wine, you may have to go through a few rounds before you find the one that tastes like liquid gold.

Comment

That one went over your head iaindb ;D

Might be worth looking into home roasting Ardy 8-)

Comment

Oh Krud... it still took me 5 minutes to figure out what you were talking about... sorry Di Bella :-[ I thought you were Ardy :

Comment

might have to take that award off you ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X