Please explain pour times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain pour times

Originally posted by 457679736E485039170 link=1328702065/7#7 date=1328980904
    Originally posted by 484858444549402C0 link=1328702065/6#6 date=1328978127
    I have the impression from various threads that the appropriate time for a (double) shot of espresso varies from machine to machine - 10 seconds to 30 seconds to who knows???   
    I dont know where you are getting that information. The STARTING GUIDELINE is about 25 seconds. After that, let your palate be the guide. I have had some really fine 30-40 second extractions, but around  25 to 30 is the top of the bell curve. But ten seconds? No thank you.

So, the question is: WHY?

Re: Please explain pour times

Why what? Why is the base time recommended 25 seconds? its what works. To go much lower or much higher than that (with either grind changes or brew pressure changes, or both) leads to bad espresso from over or under extraction.

Comment

There was an article by Illy on the "complexity of coffee" (google finds it) with some clues on why in the section on chemistry.

The bigger question is... what are you doing with a "3L Aluminum Pressure cooker on gas range" ???

Comment

Why, scarey, Im roasting great coffee !

Randy G, I recall Andy suggesting some time recently that under-extracting isnt a problem in that sense. Otherwise, ristrettos would be a bad idea, wouldnt they?

I think Im having a hard time getting the settings on my grinder fine enough to cause the coffee to merely dribble through (got lucky once last week and had a slow pour that took 25-30 seconds to get close to a double shot). I think I may need a shim set for this and that will help me slow the water through the coffee grounds. Am I on the right track, here?

Comment

Originally posted by 2222322E2F232A460 link=1329063239/3#3 date=1329091073
          Randy G, I recall Andy suggesting some time recently that under-extracting isnt a problem in that sense.  Otherwise, ristrettos would be a bad idea, wouldnt they?
          Under extraction" in the way I was using the term, does not refer to the volume extracted from the dose. i was talking about the sort of shot you get from a too-coarse grind that results in bitter, watery espresso.

Comment

Extraction as in amount of stuff ending up in the water. The amount and which type of stuff is a function of many things including the rate of extraction. Some go to the extent of measuring Total Dissolved Solids, but then with problems like channeling, some parts of the puck are under-extracted while other parts are over-extracted yet the total could be OK... urgh, me brain hertz.

Roaster is good (a variation on the Wok Roaster I presume) - I had visions of an Uber-Steamer ;D

Comment

Working...
            X