Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grind Specific Blending - New technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grind Specific Blending - New technique?

Hey all

So Ive been experimenting a lot with tweaking coffees to taste exactly as I want to them to, by varying dose and grind whilst maintaining flow rate. This has greatly increased my enjoyment of espresso. Both in making and drinking it.

In doing all this, I realised that most blends would rarely be working with the perfect grind setting for each of the different beans within it. So I thought Id perform a little experiment. This was my first attempt at this. I got two different coffees that Ive been drinking for the last two days and tweaked to points where they both taste great. The first one in the grinder is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Haileslassie (~12g), and the second is PNG Kimmel Peaberry (~10g). The Yirg tastes better at a coarser grind, whilst the Kimmel needs to be a bit finer to be at its peak.

The video is pretty self explanatory really. I grind the first lot, change the grind setting, grind the second lot, and pull a shot. The shot poured pretty fast, but still tastes great. Very clean, and really highlights the best flavours each coffee has to offer. Ill probably keep playing around with this and see if I can get some god shots with this method. I can only imagine how great theyd taste

Ill post the video as soon as its done uploading!

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Nader.

Re: Grind Specific Blending - New technique?

So if you go to YouTube and replace the usual jumble of letters and numbers of any random video with this lot, youll see my video

e8Z7ohc6gj8

Nader.

Comment

So that would be this link Nader

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Z7ohc6gj8

Comment

Haha sorry... I wasnt sure what happened to links on this forum. Last time I posted a link I got told off... :P

Comment

Interesting concept, worth a try

Comment

Itd be far easier with two grinders though!

Comment

i grind to order through my rossi so doing things like 50/50 reglar/decaf is fairly simple but yes, changing grind size between the 2 halves seems to bring out a slightly different flavour. very interesting...

Comment

Working...
              X