No announcement yet.

Macca’s hits the spot with its coffee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macca’s hits the spot with its coffee.

During a recent 2500 km motorcycle road trip through SA, Vic and NSW one thing was painfully evident, with a couple of exceptions, the coffee available en route was swill.

The weather being cold and miserable I took every opportunity for a brew, tried everything, motels, mom and pop road houses, cafe’s, auto dispensers in service stations, a couple of boutique style coffee places and whenever they loomed into view the ubiquitous golden arches.

The exceptions being; a place just off the main highway in Keith SA-- good food and better than average coffee, a lunch/coffee bar called Spoons in Port Fairy--reasonable coffee, the croissant I ordered was heated in a microwave and was like eating soggy bread with a bit of filling, and an Italian restaurant in Point Cook (the name escapes me) served a drinkable espresso.

Most of what was on offer at road houses consisted of instant (International roast variety) ranging in price from $2.50 to $4.50.  The only thing that can be said in its favour is that the cup offered something warm to wrap my frozen hands around and the liquid provided a bit of warmth to the intestines, $4.50 for a paper cup of instant black beggars belief.

Auto dispensers?  Almost as bad as instant and around the $4 mark, bloody rubbish.

Now to McDonalds!  Have to admit it was something of a relief to see the arches appear in my sights, they always served a cappuccino that ranged from quite drinkable to not bad at all, ok, not gourmet stuff but consistently average.
    This was reinforced a few days back when returning from Adelaide, SWMBO swung into Macca’s for a take away cappa, not wanting to be left out I ordered one as well, same story again, the earth didn’t exactly move but it was certainly drinkable and far preferable to the road house crap I had experienced on my trip.

So, what’s the message? Macca’s offers fast food and coffee for the masses.
    As for their food, not for me, but the coffee is another story, as far as I’m concerned it’s much better than average coffee for the masses, if you walk in with a superior attitude expecting to discuss the merits of various single origins, the finer points of extraction, aroma, acidity etc and whether or not you can taste a hint of chocolate, cinnamon, citrus or apple you are in for a major disappointment.
    On the other hand if you simply want a reasonable coffee on the run, as far as I’m concerned Macca’s will deliver pretty consistently.
    Save your barista talk for them that are vaguely interested and pretend to understand it, the staff at Macca’s are for the main unskilled low paid workers who are there to dispense food and beverages to the best of their ability and most of the time display a pleasant attitude, but don’t give a rats arse whether you have a Giotto, Sunbeam or Expobar machine a Reg Barber tamper or roast your beans with a converted WWII flame thrower.
    Think about this, if we did not drink poorly made coffee now and again where would our bench mark be? AND if every shot was a god shot what would we have to whinge about.

Sure it’s a delight to find an oasis in a waste land of mediocrity, a bit like finding colour in a gold pan, when it happens--a cry of eureka goes up--but then it’s on with the quest for the next mini bonanza.

McDonalds are here to stay, they certainly don’t suit everyone’s taste however, they cater and appeal to a very large segment of the community and no one can argue with that.

Re: Macca’s hits the spot with its coffee.

We have sat back over several years now and read the negative posts re Maccas coffees. We have thought of a wonderful C.S. lady who has in her life trained Maccas Baristas. She has been very gracious in her silence during the often damming comments. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    We agree with Jon on his comments and are glad to see that he has posted such.
    We lived in Deniliquin up until recently and the McCafe there had an Espresso machine and a trained Bartista and he pumped out a good coffee. The line up for such was incredible. We also have had good coffees at McCafe at Mickelham Melbourne (again an Espresso machine and a very passionate lady Barista) . On our trip up to Brissie we were hanging out for a good coffee and found Maccas at Stanthorpe gave us that plus a lovely freshly baked healthy muffin. Like everywhere one gets good and bad of products etc. So it is good that this forum allows posting of all points of opinion. Food (coffee) for thought.

Comment

Thanks Herbie, were obviously a couple of voices in the wilderness, posted this 4 days ago, 112 views and yours is the first comment.

Comment

Gotta agree. But then, I can still get excited over an instant coffee when withdrawal kicks in.
        Maybe not my first choice for a cafe experience, however Maccas is fairly reliable. Providing its a small cup; the large drinks are like drinking a hot mass of bloating coffee-scented milk (and Maccas is no orphan for this). The coffee tastes reasonably fresh and the brew is somewhere in the realms of acceptable espresso. More of a community service, without being a threat to real cafes.

Comment

I agree with all said above. Which in my opinion always gets back to the operator of the equipment.

Comment

My last maccas coffe was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 3A060F1702630 link=1331352268/2#2 date=1331684616
              Thanks Herbie, were obviously a couple of voices in the wilderness, posted this 4 days ago, 112 views and yours is the first comment. Smiley
              Maybe most people havent tried a McCafe and thus dont feel they can offer an informed comment?

Comment

I have had a Maccas "coffee". It was in 2007 at (I think) the Maccas in Stanthorpe. A colleague and myself were travelling by car to a conference in Armidale and he persuaded me to give it a go. I had a long black which was pretty ordinary and in retrospect I should have had a small latte or cappa as the milk & sugar covers a lot of flaws. The coffee was no worse than I have had in many cafes that you would think (by virtue of their primary function as purveyors of coffee) would offer something drinkable. Coffee when travelling is something my wife and I dread as you simply cant predict what it will be like. Maybe in Melbourne...

Comment

On the topic of coffee when traveling there is an app if you have a smart phone called "bean hunter".

Most of the reasonably rated cafes are workable and every now and then you might get a surprise. I dont think I could go back to picking at random!

Comment

I tried McDonalds coffee on a couple of occasions since they ran the TV ads about serving better coffee and training their baristas, but it was the usual bitter, boiling hot, cringeworthy effort with soap suds on top.

No arguing there is a place for Maccas coffee. Most people I see who order takeaway Maccas coffee seem to add several servings of sugar. Coffee is just a flavoured sugary drink for many.

Comment

Originally posted by 323E27303D30252534510 link=1331352268/9#9 date=1331773046
                      No arguing there is a place for Maccas coffee.
                      Agreed...

I am just trying to work out which place that might be...Definitely not my place!

Comment

Originally posted by 4075787F4B577B72727171140 link=1331352268/10#10 date=1331773960
                        Originally posted by 323E27303D30252534510 link=1331352268/9#9 date=1331773046
                        No arguing there is a place for Maccas coffee.
                        Agreed...

I am just trying to work out which place that might be...Definitely not my place! 

You coffee snob you.. ;D

Comment

Not mine either... Ive continuously had undrinkable coffee from maccas. From a variety of McCafes also... Sure there might be an average one somewhere, but all the McCafes Ive visited have been well below average...

Comment

Maccas coffee! Whats next 7 eleven

Comment

After reading this post i thought i would take the opportunity to give Mc Donalds Coffee ago. Not being unfair i gave it 5 goes at three different locations over the past week, two lattes, two cappuccinos and one espresso.
                              Understanding that people drink coffee for different reasons eg some for the caffeine, some for the taste and that peoples perception of whats nice and bad are also different. I base my opinion only on what i think...

I personally feel the coffee tasted a little burnt, after looking at the beans they are roasted darker than what i like. Each of the times I tried the coffee with milk every time with out fail the milk was way to hot resulting in the taste you get with over heated milk. the appearance was ok with all.

the bottom line is i was not satisfied with the coffees i had. My main gripe is they say they have improved there coffee which to me still tastes like "Mc Donalds Coffee".....

Comment

Working...
                              X