Coffee festival at the Rocks Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee festival at the Rocks Sydney

People in Sydney, any of you going to the coffee festival at the Rocks this Sunday 11th July?

Any of you went last year?

What happens there?

Re: Coffee festival at the Rocks Sydney

Im going. Havent bean before. Who knows what happens, perhaps we drink coffee? I hope so, thats my plan anyway!

Comment

The average coffee at the melborne celebrate that bean was awful out of the 10 I tried I finished 1. Certainly nothing anywhere near as good as we get at home.

Could one of you or some one that does go do a bit of a write up on it

Cheers
      Rich

Comment

Im going but not expecting too much... just gonna get out and enjoy the atmosphere.

Comment

For all those who are going it could be an idea to meet up, maybe.

Rich

Comment

Photos........... speak a 1000 words too.

just an idea

I cant go, Governmental commitments.

FB

Comment

could even make it an official Coffeesnobs thing.

what do you all think about that?

Rich

Comment

I went last year, although only for an hour so it was a bit rushed. By 10am it was packed - 4 deep at most stalls. I expect this year would be the same.

The atmosphere is great - live music here and there. Plenty of different coffee to try too (I think I restricted myself to 3 ).

I found that a surprising number of people manning the stalls didnt actually know much about coffee. Especially in the espresso machine area in the passenger terminal.

Having said that, Id definately recommend it if youre in Sydney. Im planning to go again.

Theres an The Art of Roasting – Toby Smith, Toby’s Estate workshop on at 12:30 which could be interesting. Plus a Coffee Art Demonstration at 11:30. Id say youd have to get to those pretty early to get a seat.

Some extra info here => http://www.therocks.com/rocks/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by thomas_cho link=1088750876/0#0 date=1088750876
                  People in Sydney, any of you going to the coffee festival at the Rocks this Sunday 11th July?

Any of you went last year?

What happens there?
                  Lots of coffee is what happens

The page for details is here: http://www.viewsydney.com/rocks/content/events/eventdetail.cfm?event_id=100870&month=July%202004

As has been noted theres a roasting talk by Toby Smith. Last year he had Dean Morgan there as well. Deans Tobys Roastmaster. The talk is interesting, but aimed at the general public, so dont expect in-depth profiling talk..

Another talk to check out is Best Grind. Its got Dominic Mesumeci and Maico LaPenna. 3rd (I think) and 1st place getters in this years Australian barista championships. Maico went on to place 7th in the World championships.

Also of note: domestic & semi-commercial espresso machines up in the passenger terminal. Lots of places selling wet coffee. And last year Andronicus was there demonstrating roasting on a (very expensive) sample roaster.

Its a good day out. But get there *early* if you dont want to battle crowds.

Ill be there all day.

Now the hard part is a) arranging a time to meet and b) recognising each other in a crowd of hundreds.

Anyone got a pennant?

Cheers

Paul Haddon
                  Sydney

Comment

Wish we could get there.

Anyone know any good tee shirt printers for such events so we can Identify each other  

Rich

Comment

Hi everyone, the Aroma festival was a washout! It was raining!

Nevertheless, coffee was on sale from most of the exhibitors for $1 a cup.

I did not spend much time there, was there for about 1.5 hrs. Went to the coffee machine section where there were representatives from DeLonghi, Krups, Saeco, Gaggia, there were also some Isomac machines, and La Scala.

I was really smitten by the E61 grouphead machines, and I think that is my aim now to get one.

Anyone want to buy my Gaggia Classic?

There were some really nice bands playing ... at the time I caught the ferry to go home, the rain had cleared up and more people were lining up at the stalls to sample the coffee!

Sighs ... just bad timing for me, enjoyed the ferry ride from Sydney harbour back to Parramatta tho.

Comment

Popped down for a few hours today as well. Actually, the rain wasnt too bad, and it kept the crowd numbers managable.

I was a bit disappointed in the machine expo. It was mainly the "big" brands and not so much the specialty equipment. Athough, Thomas is right, those E61 machines sure do look the part. The LaScala Butterfly is simply beautiful.

Interestingly, I was asking about the MDF grinder at the Gaggia stand, as was told that they were no longer selling them here due to low demand - hence the liquidation auction on ebay for them.

Anyway, my wife sampled a few coffees from the stands, and then paid me a nice complement when we got home by saying that now she could at least get a decent coffee again.

Phil

Comment

LOL Phil, you just cant go back can you ;D

We have friends telling us that they dont appreciate coffees from cafes anymore, but they have to tolerate it as they dont have a coffee machine.

The coffees at the Melbourne Celebrate the bean were awful. It doesnt help that they are pulling coffee after coffee, we only got through one coffee between us.

Its a shame the weather was so bad for you Thomas. It was really hot when we went, everyone was trying to find shade. A good day though.

Comment

I share the same sentiments with Leopard regarding the coffee, short of sounding like a coffee snob, out of the three espressos i tried, only 1 tasted like I would go back for more.

My wife tried a cappucino, and after taking a sip, I had to throw the rest into the bin.

I had a look at the breville area, and saw them carefully washing out their portafilters and just leaving them on the tray!

Another which I was observing was how coffees were prepared by the barista. At the Isomac section, I was evesdropping on the demonstrater explaining the importance of the right amount of coffee, and what happens during the extraction process ... was pretty informative, but could not stay long there, as my wife was pretty much bored!

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeSnobs link=1088750876/0#12 date=1089537836
                              The coffees at the Melbourne Celebrate the bean were awful. It doesnt help that they are pulling coffee after coffee, we only got through one coffee between us.
                              Yes, not the best environment to be making quality coffee. Good to take friends to though, makes home roasted coffee taste all that much better......not that they need any encouragement to come around and drink coffee.
                              ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X