How much coffee do you drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much coffee do you drink?

The number of posts on coffee roasting and buying suggest some homes are producing commercial quantities of grounds for weekly consumption. Good thing caffeine is a legal drug of dependency.
    But who’s consuming it all? Are there people here bouncing off the walls as single users, or is it being equitably diluted among numerous family members? Given that some health experts say 400 mg is the upper limit of safe daily caffeine intake, that amounts to some 4 shots. How many shots do you drink a day?

Re: How much coffee do you drink?

We go through 450g of beans a week in our household

FB

Comment

It was my understanding that espresso has 30-50mg of caffine per 1.5 oz shot with brewed coffee running 150-200mg per 6 oz cup. That said Ill own up to drinking probably about a dozen singles a day during the winter, made as lattes. In the summer its slightly less with only a couple being lattes and the rest in an iced drink of one kind or another.

Java "Hhhmmm...Time for a refill" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

two espressi in the morning, double shots, usually made to latte or piccolo latte. One plunger coffee at work.

[edit] Weekends is a different story. It would be 4 or 5 of the above espressi on an average weekend morning.

youre right tho, I send off so much more coffee to family than I drink myself !

Comment

Weekdays its one plunger at work in the morning...
          Weekends its an espresso shot or two for me, and one for my girl.

Its not the quantity in our place... its the quality.

Comment

prob 4 or 5 a day. lattes in the morning, then often machiattos in arvo & espresso at night.

Comment

You could be right about the amount of caffeine, Javaphile. Its all so confusing. I took the 100 mg of caffeine per shot from the Italian National Institute of Espresso, which defines an espresso thus:

"...The following are some important conditions to obtain Espresso Italiano – though these alone would not be adequate to fulfil the quality requirements:
              Necessary portion of ground coffee = 7 g ± 0,5
              Exit temperature of water from the unit = 88°C ± 2°C
              Temperature of the drink in the cup = 67°C ± 3°C
              Entry water pressure = 9 bar ± 1
              Percolation time = 25 seconds ± 2.5 seconds
              Viscosity at = 45°C > 1.5 mPa s
              Total fat = > 2 mg/ml
              Caffeine = 100 mg/cup
              Millilitres in the cup (including foam) = 25 ml ± 2.5."

That is their definition. However, I have also read other analyses which put espresso shots at around 40 mg of caffeine.

--Robusto

Comment

This very much depends on the blend of coffee and therefore the content of robusta / arabica, and it also depends on the size of filter being used and therefore actual quantity of coffee grinds / cup.

Robusta contains a much higher content of caffeine than arabica and,
                Different sized filters are used in different markets.

Italian style espresso conatins a much higher content of robusta than other markets, but they can get away with using the smaller filters because they mostly drink "short" rather than long coffees where a larger filter (quantity of coffee grinds) is required.

As to the topic, afraid that Andy CJ is right on the money. If he were closer to us, we could slip him off some kind of prize for giving us the correket answer......... ;D :

Regardz,
                FC.

Comment

Thats makes sense Robusto as the Italians use a lot more robusto beans in their espressoss as FB pointed out. My figures came from several sources in the US where very little if any robusto is used in espressos, while it is quite common in brewed coffee blends, and they seem to be the figures that most agree with.

Oh and FC, shipping coffee long distance isnt a problem, just stick a civit cat in with the beans. That way the beans will be more valuable when they arrive and justify the postage! ;D ;D ;D

Java "If its not great quality why bother with it?" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Good one mate!

FC.

Comment

How many do you do a day?

Keep a look out - Im sure this will be moved somewhere else ;D

I used to limit myself to 3 doubles before I got the giotto, etc. Now Im drinking 6 to 7 per day.

How many shots do you drink a day?

Comment

Re: How many do you do a day?

Ahh.... Giotto and Mini....damn fine combination that!!

I normally drink between 2 and 6 a day. More often than not when I pull a double, half stays as espresso and the other half gets mixed with milk. The reason I do this is to try and train my palate and develop my taste. So the shot goes down first (with the requisite "what can I taste?" thought), then I make a flat white to compare flavours (and possibly the old habit of only drinking milk based coffees)

Comment

2-4, unless its cupping day, then 4+.

Comment

2 - 3.

Comment

I average 6.

Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes none - no beans.

Comment

Working...
                              X