What about local beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about local beans?

In my professional life as a business writer, I came across a struggling Queensland coffee producer who cant get a foot in the door because of the power of importers. Wouldnt it be good to include beans like his in the polls. Im sure the quality is superb, the price reasonable - and wed be doing our bit to keep our hard-earned dollars at home! If youre interested, contact me offline and Ill track down his contact details.

Re: What about local beans?

Great point.
    The problem I see with local suppliers is both the high labour cost (passed on to the end user of course) and the perceived lower quality from lack of altitude.

Neither may be correct.

I have a feeling that we did a Skybury in the early days... but I might be dreaming though.

Someone in the forum also bought a coffee plant and some beans from a NSW grower... hands-up who that was.

Ill contact you and some other local producers over time and see if we can get some interest in at least an open minded look from the membership ;D

Comment

You pay a higher price for a lower quality product

Is the answer Ive gotten from the few roasters Ive mentioned Australian grown beans to. Ive only tried Skybury once and I wasnt a fan, but Im willing to listen to reason

Perhaps FC has some experience with Aussie beans?

Comment

I thought the talk from the owner of Skybury at CTB was interesting.
        He basically admitted that their product has not been up to scratch in the past, but he reckons they have their processing methods sorted out now.
        Perhaps they might be worth a try later in the year?

As for the smaller producers, I reckon we would need someone to give them a good rap before committing to a whole bag.

Comment

Samples might be the way to move forward on the smaller producers.

These could be sent to the people in the taster list for feedback to the forum.

Comment

Hi All,

Heres a link to another Aussie grower/roaster who is prepared to sell green beans. Might be worth contacting to see if some samples can be arranged?
            http://www.arabicas.com.au/

Cheers,
            Mal.

Comment

I have some skybury which I can roast for a cupping at the next divide if you guys feel inclined?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1111475981/0#1 date=1111479137
                Someone in the forum also bought a coffee plant and some beans from a NSW grower... hands-up who that was.
                Andy that was me, I think. I still have a kilo of Norther River from Wombah Estate, which I think is in S QLD or it could be N NSW. Anyway, I can bring some to the next MLB bean divide for some tasters.

Just say the word! ;D

Jon

Comment

Interested to hear feedback on Jons Wombah Estate coffee...

Comment

Definatly worth a go on a bag I would think. Its not so much the altitude, but knowing that youre buying from a specific farm... or estate... even if its in AU - you KNOW where its come from.

But the testing is always in the tasting... so samples roll on.

Comment

Ive still got some Northern River to roast (thanks to Jon). If only I could stop doing batches of the Peru. Perhaps tomorrow!

Comment

Come on big fella, give the Peru a rest and try the Northern river. Give yourself a break so as to refresh your pallet, may be a chocolate might help? ;D

I found it light and mild (though this was the bean that I learnt to roast on) defiitely not a heavy espresso base. I think it would work well in a blend.

2Muchcoffeeman, have you tried this one yet?

Boris

Comment

Yes Jon- sorry I havent looked here for a while and thanks for the sample. I found berry notes typical of the aussie coffees- light to med body. It reminded me very much of skybury- a nice coffee but I wouldnt want to drink it every day

Comment

Ive still got half left of a kilo I bought off Mark at Growers Espresso in St. Georges Road Nth. Fitzroy. It was the first ever batch of green beans I bought and roasted. I cant actually remember what it tastes like. He charged me a packet for it with the reasoning that he was going to roast it himself and sell it anyway so he was losing out by selling it to me for a lower price but he might be open to working out a deal for a larger amount. The beans come from his wifes familys plantation near Byron Bay. Details at http://www.eurekacoffee.com.au/

Might do a roast now.

Doxhead

Comment

Hi All,

As mentioned above, if you are keen to try out some of the local produce, I heartily recommend that you give http://www.arabicas.com.au/ a go, as they are amenable to selling Green Bean in smallish quantities (1-3 Kg) to home roasters and their pricing structure is quite reasonable. At my last purchase of a few Kilos, I paid $12.00/Kg and the beans supplied were of extremely good quality and delivered the next day by courier.

They also supply a wide range of imported beans too but for those I much prefer our very own CS. Drop them a line and Im sure you will be suitably impressed.

Cheers,
                              Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X